Reel setup help please

ASH556

I just bought a cheap reel and line off the clearance rack at Walmart. I'm wanting to update the automatic reel my grandpa gave me. I don't have any backer to put on the reel. Is there something else I can use or just put the line straight on the reel?

Thanks!

FSU Turtle

I am not sure what size reel you have and what you want to rig it for, but I always spool with some backing before I attach my fly line. You can get a small spool of backing pretty cheap. If you are not fishing for something that will get into the backing, I know some guys that use power pro for backing but it could be tough on your fingers if you did get that far down.

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
I am not sure what size reel you have and what you want to rig it for, but I always spool with some backing before I attach my fly line. You can get a small spool of backing pretty cheap. If you are not fishing for something that will get into the backing, I know some guys that use power pro for backing but it could be tough on your fingers if you did get that far down.

Braid may also hurt your rod guides however I will say that getting into the backing is extremely rare, unless you are going to go after some stripers or carp around here in open water. I don't really care that much on my 4/5wts but on my 9wt you can bet my line is perfect all the way to the knot to tie it to the spool.

ASH556

Hopefully this will provide some clarification:

I'm trying to put this:
20120517_090415.jpg

Onto this:
20120517_090431.jpg

20120517_090607.jpg

20120517_090545.jpg

To throw these:
20120517_090635.jpg

To catch these:
20120421_100816.jpg

I've got a partial spool of 20lb Powerpro that I could use as backing. How much do I use?

centerpin fan

Can you get to Bass Pro Shops in Lawrenceville? They have backing, and they will spool the reel for you.

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
You can probably put on 100 yards of backing, I doubt that will cramp the reel and it will be enough to help out if you get into a solid fish. I've used braid as backing before but like previously said only on rigs where it probably will never see the light of day.

Hopefully this will provide some clarification:

I'm trying to put this:
20120517_090415.jpg

Onto this:
20120517_090431.jpg

20120517_090607.jpg

20120517_090545.jpg

To throw these:
20120517_090635.jpg

To catch these:
20120421_100816.jpg

I've got a partial spool of 20lb Powerpro that I could use as backing. How much do I use?

ASH556

Devolve, PM sent. Thanks so much!

ASH556

I have another question: How do I know how much backing to use?

fishndoc

I have another question: How do I know how much backing to use?

Only reason to use backing for a blue gill (or trout) outfit is to make the curve in the fly line a little less acute - i.e., move the line out a little farther from the spool so it is straighter in the water.
Just add enough backing so that when the fly line is completely spooled, there is still about 1/4 inch clearance between top of line and reel cage.

BTW, don't mean to be rude, but sounds like you are just getting into fly fishing: Your rod is a 5 wt (or 4 wt) also?

ASH556

Only reason to use backing for a blue gill (or trout) outfit is to make the curve in the fly line a little less acute - i.e., move the line out a little farther from the spool so it is straighter in the water.
Just add enough backing so that when the fly line is completely spooled, there is still about 1/4 inch clearance between top of line and reel cage.

BTW, don't mean to be rude, but sounds like you are just getting into fly fishing: Your rod is a 5 wt (or 4 wt) also?

Yes, the rod is a 5wt. I tried to pick up fly fishing 2 years ago. I've been using old (like 40+yr old) equipment that was handed down to me by my grandpa. I got one of the reels he gave me set up by Orvis, and that's what I've been using, but now I want to try it on my own so I know how to do it.

ASH556

Oh, and I get the part about using the backing to fill the spool, but how do I know how much space the line itself will take up? Should I put the line on and then top it off with backing until it's full; then take it off and reverse it?

ASH556

Devolve,
I got the backing in the mail last night. Thanks sooooo much!

ASH556

Thanks again everyone for the help and to Devolve for the backing. It works!

20120528_115954-1.jpg

Last edited: