Chronograph recommendations please?

Big7

The Oracle
Chronograph recommendations please?

Need one that tells me the basics. Speed, obviously- but it don't need to have all the memory and all that other mess UNLESS it's just a VERY FEW more bucks.. I know how to work a pencil and paper. :bounce:

Would MUCH prefer the shoot past, as opposed to the shoot- through- the- hoops kind because at the range we can't go past the firing line unless you are the only person there and that hasn't ever happened. Soooooo.... I need the kind that you put beside you that looks like a little TV screen.

PS.... I take real good care of my stuff so it doesn't have to come in an armored cabinet.
I just need one that works to build some match dope cards.

Thanks for the replies.

CHEAP :LOL:

bullgator

Rifles only? The Magnetospeed works well. If you want to do pistols the a LabRadar is the only alternative to sky screens.

Big7

The Oracle
Thanks.

LabRadar is a little much at 650$ but thanks. I saw a guy using something that looks like the Magnetospeed at the range but he was really serious into something so I didn't ask him about it.

It's more like in my budget around 250 but might have to look at some of the hoop kind, if they aren't obsolete, they should be a lot cheaper by now. Might have to find a way to make that work.

ChidJ

I really like the Lab Radar but it is a pain if you don't have your own range. Other people shooting sometimes messes with it.

Like Jester said, hanging those MagnetoSpeeds off of the barrel has been reported to cause some issues.... not to mention I've heard more than once of folks shooting them right off.

This device seems to address that issue. Not an endorsement or anything. I've just seen it used

I get the feeling this isn't possible at your current location but the best way to gather data is to just shoot. If you shoot at 300 and your groups are 0.9 mils low, that's your drop in those conditions regardless of what a device says it should be and it didn't cost you anything other than a few extra rounds. Not saying you shouldn't get one or that it isn't useful, just saying don't get caught up in the minutiae.

rmp

I use BC and drop most times as stated above.
Another option F-class John was testing, but no experience with it. Not cheap either.
Just FWIW…

SQI-ANDIX

Ajohnson0587

There’s only one option if you want consistent data, that’s a lab radar. I’ve had 4 different chrono’s (magneto, Caldwell, chrony, and a CED.) NONE are consistent enough to compete with the Labrador. I even use it for archery. IMO, I’d save the money for the Labrador, but if you want a cheaper option, the Chrony would be my recommendation for a Hobbyist.

Big7

The Oracle
There’s only one option if you want consistent data, that’s a lab radar. I’ve had 4 different chrono’s (magneto, Caldwell, chrony, and a CED.) NONE are consistent enough to compete with the Labrador. I even use it for archery. IMO, I’d save the money for the Labrador, but if you want a cheaper option, the Chrony would be my recommendation for a Hobbyist.
That seems to be the gold standard from what I'm getting from Jim Harmer and a few more.

Of course, they may be sponsored and getting them free or on "loan" for testing in exchange for some air time but I don't know that to be a fact.

I really only got 5 rifles I need dope for past 500 yards and could make do with 3 so I might just settle on some bullets and charge weights and write down the dope for now.

This forthcoming Bench Rest and F- Class is what has me wanting one. It pretty much a necessity- from what I gather anyway.

I'm thinking real hard on building 2 dedicated rifles.

rosewood

I would like a labradar, but they like them more than I do.

I have a Chrony, but switched to a Caldwell Ballistic Chronograph a few years back. I found it on sale for like $89 or so. Mine connects to my phone with a 1/8" audio type cable and tracks everything in the app. It will work without the connection, but only records single shots if you don't connect to phone. The new one connects via bluetooth and would be easier than dragging out a cord.

The Caldwell seems less affected by lighting than the Chrony did. It works for my purposes.

I can see the value of the Labradar and Magneto in a range setting where you have others shooting since you don't have to put it in front of the firing line. This isn't a problem where I shoot.

Rosewood

Jester896

Senior Clown
there are minor issues at times with the Lab Radar reading, but nowhere like there are with screens. My Old School Ohler (pencil and paper not included) sure needs a good clear day and that doesn't seem to bother the Radar.

Deerhead

Was on another site and saw an article on the new Garmin Xero C1 Pro Chronograph. Listed retail of $599 is steep for me but says its better than a Lab Radar. Umm time will tell. But it is small and compact!

rmp

Keep an eye out for a LabRadar on Accurate Shooter. There’s typically multiples listed for sale daily. A way to save some money if that’s what one is wanting.

jglenn

Garmin just released their competition to the labradar..smaller unit with some advantages.
Slightly cheaper too

ssramage

Garmin just released their competition to the labradar..smaller unit with some advantages.
Slightly cheaper too

I have absolutely zero need for a chrono but the Garmin unit looks cool. Friend of mine has a partnership with Garmin and was sharing on social media this week.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I am still a little leery of Garmin from past experiences with some of the equipment support and how fast they will discontinue support.

It looks like the new LabRadar prices are going to be about $100 cheaper now that Garmins are out. There are some smoking deals on used ones if you look good. I just picked one up that I returned for battery damage that wasn't disclosed so be careful. The second one I picked up was an even sweeter deal, complete with multiple power sources. The first one also came with 2 under powered power sources.

This one came with a tripod but I still like the flat plate type for some reason. Wish I could remember the place I saw some newer ones that were aluminum. One of the shooter supply places :huh:

rmp

I see lots of folks unloading the LabRadar. People either love them or hate them. Well, I guess some tolerate them because they can be finicky depending on the speed, diameter of projectile, and sometimes the shape. All of which doesn’t affect the majority of what I do. I’ll run the Garmin through plenty of tests and see how it performs.

Jester896

Senior Clown
position and muzzle blast errors aren't as bad as the errors I get with the Ohler. They are easier to set up than the screen type for sure and are behind the muzzle and harder to shoot. I don't miss setting up the Ohler ;). It is still here on the back of a shelf. The thing I will like the most about mine is not having to run up to my buddy's to test something (45 Min ride) and can run to the WMA range (20 min ride) and do it. I wonder how many people actually set the projectile weight in it for power and energy.

rmp

Definitely a big step in the right direction moving to Doppler radar.

There’s also the JKL trigger if one is missing shots after doing everything right.