Tripod Recommendations Please

ChidJ

I've tried to run a tripod in the climber. Its just not flexible enough. Normall, the tripod is the only fixed thing and you can move around it. In the tree stand, you cant really move so neither can the firing angles. I found a monopod (trekking pole, stick, etc) is more flexible and still provides a measure of stability.

For the record, I don't like ARCA either (for hunting) for one of the same reasons I don't like the clamp. It traps your gun.

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
I agree with others about the bag / table on a tripod for hunting. I cant even get a monopod to work to my satisfaction in a climber, so no way a tripod in a climber. My son shoots prs and has the “gucci” tripod with the ARCA, he loves it for that, but he admits for hunting it maybe a bit harder to use. Plans to use a bag on our upcoming elk hunt.

This is a very good tripod instruction

chase870

Possum Sox
I have two Death Grip Bog Pods. I figure they ought to ask me for an endorsement they have been in the bed of my trucks on a golf cart or other vehicles for well over 3 years, exposed to all weather conditions, and used hard. I've shot countless animals off them and fired hundreds and hundreds of rounds shooting and zeroing rifles and slug guns. All in all they preform well and have been a product worth of recommending to others

killerv

I picked up a death grip about two years ago, amazon had a great sale on them. I don't even bother to break out my portable bench, chair, rests most of the time. Just grab the tripod, lock everything in and shoot. I know I wont get the tiniest groups with it, but plenty good for a quick zero and less to haul around.

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
I shot with some tripod shooters this weekend. See attached table. Strapped a heavy bag on the table and rock solid. Special clip for bino’s too. This tripod was so much easier to set up IMG_6789.jpegthan my bog. ARCA is under the table easy to remove and slide in your rifle.

Darkhorse

This is my hunting tripod. It started life as a photography tripod which wasn't being used. Then one day I needed one and it became my shooting tripod. It's kinda heavy though but it works.
In practice I just slip into the gun and slip the rope off the buttstock, aim and shoot.
One day I want a tripod made to hunt with. Maybe carbon fiber. But in the meantime this one works fine.
SS850050.jpg

Jester896

Senior Clown
I have a Slik U212...since I don't take many photos any more....I use it to mount range finders on mostly and sometimes a spotting scope at shoots.

wonder what that Nikon 35mm stuff would bring...think there is a 6X6 Yashica in the bag too

Reactions: Dub

Darkhorse

I have a Slik U212...since I don't take many photos any more....I use it to mount range finders on mostly and sometimes a spotting scope at shoots.

wonder what that Nikon 35mm stuff would bring...think there is a 6X6 Yashica in the bag too
I've wondered the same thing since the only photos we take are with a digital camera or phone we could get rid of the older stuff.

Dub

This is my hunting tripod. It started life as a photography tripod which wasn't being used. Then one day I needed one and it became my shooting tripod. It's kinda heavy though but it works.
In practice I just slip into the gun and slip the rope off the buttstock, aim and shoot.
One day I want a tripod made to hunt with. Maybe carbon fiber. But in the meantime this one works fine.
SS850050.jpg

Left handed.

Now that is how it's done....."Hmm, can't seem to find the rifle I want....no problem....I'll make one the way I want". (y) :flag:

Dub

Growing up, Dad was a big photography guy.

Mostly, underwater images. His diving gear consisted of everything I would wear....plus a big ole camera rig & flashes contained in impressive housings.

Many of his greatest material came from night dives.

Hunters that think the woods come alive after dark would have their minds blown underwater at night.

Over the years he has put on some amazing slide shows for large civic groups and such. Had multiple projectors synced up with cool soundtracks from mix tapes he'd made.

He is mid-70's now and quit diving 25 years ago....about the same time I did.

The above ground photo fun took over.

He migrated to digital. "Migrated" is probably the wrong word....he jumped into it almost overnight. Ability to take 30 pics of the same thing and then select the best, crop, etc.

The more I am amazed by the whizzbang digital capabilities....the more I respect the arcane skills of the oldschool wizards who were masters of film, aperture, f-stop, depth-of-field and darkroom conjurers.

Great photographers of old are true artists, in my opinion.

Jester896

Senior Clown
When I moved here I sold my Darkroom Equipment and haven't done much since then. The best event to memory I did was the Cajun Nationals. Spent a good bit of time in Bob Glidden's tent and eating BBQ Wabbit from the Motocraft tent. I also have a few artsy pieces all B&W and printed in Sepia.

The batteries have been out of the Nikon F3HP and other stuff for a long time.

Reactions: Dub

Dub

When I moved here I sold my Darkroom Equipment and haven't done much since then. The best event to memory I did was the Cajun Nationals. Spent a good bit of time in Bob Glidden's tent and eating BBQ Wabbit from the Motocraft tent. I also have a few artsy pieces all B&W and printed in Sepia.

The batteries have been out of the Nikon F3HP and other stuff for a long time.

Any good lookin' womenz at the Cajun Nationals.......

Ain't gotta answer that....I know there were.

Cajun chicks gotta vibe that I dig.

They'll go to hades and fight the devil for ya'.......got yer back through it all.....but will cut you up into little pieces and feed you to the gators if they catch you slipping.