Tripod Recommendations Please

Big7

The Oracle
Tripod Recommendations Please

Need one for hunting and not so much shooting targets.

Needs to hopefully be able to use standing or collapse to sitting either behind an improvised hide or store bought sitting down blind.

Probably not going to be able to use a ladder or even a climbing stand much as I will be hunting new territory and scouting along the way. I won't have the luxury of my normal shooting rail and high zoomie scopes are hard, at least for me, to shoot without a rest.

I have one rifle I don't mind screwing a plate to but I won't be putting xtra holes in my "everyday" rifles so straps would be nice.

Thanks For The Suggestions.

Last edited:

FlipKing

20230925_072551.jpg
Bog pod. I've used it. My 9 year uses it. My 7 year old uses it. I've never put it as high as it could go but could prob do standing. Will def do sitting and laying. Or put it on a flat surface like this wma hunt.

Big7

The Oracle
View attachment 1257727
Bog pod. I've used it. My 9 year uses it. My 7 year old uses it. I've never put it as high as it could go but could prob do standing. Will def do sitting and laying. Or put it on a flat surface like this wma hunt.
Fixing to Google that and see if there is one close enough to lay eyeballs on.

Thanks For The Response.

Hard to tell by the pic but does the rifle just clamp or press into the rest or do you have to do something to your rifle?

FlipKing

Fixing to Google that and see if there is one close enough to lay eyeballs on.

Thanks For The Response.

Hard to tell by the pic but does the rifle just clamp or press into the rest or do you have to do something to your rifle?
Rifle just clamps so it's very easy to set up.

Dub

View attachment 1257727

That looks like a great hunting aid. :rockon:

Adjustability & ease of use appear to be super.

JR924

Looks great. I ordered one. Seems I need that clamping mechanism. Not steady enough on my Primus but practice is helping. Cannot wait to try this one. Only downside I read is adjustments in the field are stiff and the plastic knobs could strip if tightened down too much.

FlipKing

Looks great. I ordered one. Seems I need that clamping mechanism. Not steady enough on my Primus but practice is helping. Cannot wait to try this one. Only downside I read is adjustments in the field are stiff and the plastic knobs could strip if tightened down too much.
It's not terrible. I haven't had any issues eith the knobs and I'm on year 3 I think. I did break one off a little but I'm rough on it and it still functions perfectly

Dub

It's not terrible. I haven't had any issues eith the knobs and I'm on year 3 I think. I did break one off a little but I'm rough on it and it still functions perfectly

For the price, it looks good....feature packed.

The next step up is going to get into the $1,000 + range.

sghoghunter

I have a Bogpod with the deathgrip as well. I’ve been shooting hogs at night with it for three years. I keep the legs set at the right height and keep mine laying in the bed of my truck all the time. Other than the scratches and part of a knob broke off from flying out the truck bed it’s still in very good shape. For the price you can’t beat it.

ChidJ

I'm not a fan of rifle clamps on tripods. Not a dis on anyone who does. I prefer just to put a bag on the legs and put my binos or rifle on that. its faster and easier to transition from tripod to not if I need to quickly. For good quality legs, I'd recommend the following

Budget China Option: Leofoto 324

Gucci America Option: RRS TFCT14

Both are only a few lbs. RRS obviously better but I wouldn't say 4x better. For a dedicated shooting tripod that won't go far from the truck, I'd go for a beefier model but if its something you intend on packing a lot, these are a good compromise

menhadenman

Not even sure Mr. Gucci himself would drop $1500 on a tripod!

Fine looking rig tho, thanks for sharing. I’ve seen a lot of equipment and had no idea about these.

Dub

and most of those types require additional clamps of some type ARCA or other.

If I was buying one for serious precision shooting or gaming the ARCA rail would be the ticket for bipod, tripod or bag.

I suppose a solid tripod is like any of the high quality gear used for such shooting…..it is going to thump the wallet.

I really do like the look of that BOG unit for hunting, though. Usable with all rifles.

coolbreezeroho

BOG Deadshot FieldPod 20" to 42" Check these out at midway USA. They have 3 different styles . I have the heavy duty one that I take to my main hunting spot and the light weight one that is light enough that I strap it to my pack when I go scouting and decide to hunt someplace different.​

I have made 250 plus yard shots using them. They swivel left and right an move up and down One of the best things I have bought increase my shooting skills.

Big7

The Oracle
If I was buying one for serious precision shooting or gaming the ARCA rail would be the ticket for bipod, tripod or bag.

I suppose a solid tripod is like any of the high quality gear used for such shooting…..it is going to thump the wallet.

I really do like the look of that BOG unit for hunting, though. Usable with all rifles.
B 4 Deer Hunting.
Might look at some today since the range is closed on Mondays.

HughW2

For you folks using these bog pods and other tripods. Can you use them in a tree stand? I have a Millennium double that has a fairly large floor in it. My stand sits adjacent to a field where I have over 150- 200 yard shots. Could I fit it in the stand or should I focus my shopping on one of the specialty stand rests?Bog pod make one, I am blanking out on the name though.