10/15 pm

sprewett

What an absolute blast it is that we get to enjoy hunting. I had a blast this evening. My wife didn't want me to go after church because I am sick (don't worry we watched church online to keep from spreading) she said I needed to rest I told her I could rest in a tree. I honestly didn't figure on seeing anything because wind swirling on the mountain. About 530 I noticed the squirrels start moving again. One came from behind me. I thought I kept hearing something walking behind me but every time I looked I saw nothing. Finally, I heard something that wasn't a squirrel eased around and 10 yards was a young 4 point buck. I thought how in the world and I gonna get turned around and drew back to stick him. He was already jumpy because he smelled me I believe the dropping thermals helped me by not giving it all to him just subtle whiffs. Finally, I got stood up and easing around. It my tether on my harness was long enough for me to turn all the way around. So my slow fight began with it trying to move it on the tree to releive some tension. After what seemed like forever I felt like maybe I could draw back with what tension was left. I lasered the deer at 28 but he was steady moving vacuuming acorns. I thought I am comfortable at 28 but I am gonna put my 20 yard pin low because he is jumpy and maybe he will duck into it. His head went behind a bush and I drew back. I remembered what @Gadestroyer74 taught me don't grip the riser and use my wrist to draw the string don't tense my fingers up on the release. Soon as he pooped out from behind the bush I put it on the heart with my level bubble in line and let it fly. I heard the disappointing sound of arrow verses.leabes and ground not a balloon pop. He circled trying to figure where it came from then trotted off. When I found my arrow it was 34.5 yards from my climber. So my already shooting low to accommodate for him ducking because he was nervous was really low at that distance. At least I didn't hurt him. I am not too disappointed about missing because this is my rookie year and getting a lot of on the job training. But with that being said I am tired of being an Indian Outlaw next Saturday I am trading in my loin cloth, teepee, and Bow for buckskin pants and a repeating rifle. I sure.am.thankful.to the Lord for allowing us to get to enjoy this way of life.

What an absolute blast it is that we get to enjoy hunting. I had a blast this evening. My wife didn't want me to go after church because I am sick (don't worry we watched church online to keep from spreading) she said I needed to rest I told her I could rest in a tree. I honestly didn't figure on seeing anything because wind swirling on the mountain. About 530 I noticed the squirrels start moving again. One came from behind me. I thought I kept hearing something walking behind me but every time I looked I saw nothing. Finally, I heard something that wasn't a squirrel eased around and 10 yards was a young 4 point buck. I thought how in the world and I gonna get turned around and drew back to stick him. He was already jumpy because he smelled me I believe the dropping thermals helped me by not giving it all to him just subtle whiffs. Finally, I got stood up and easing around. It my tether on my harness was long enough for me to turn all the way around. So my slow fight began with it trying to move it on the tree to releive some tension. After what seemed like forever I felt like maybe I could draw back with what tension was left. I lasered the deer at 28 but he was steady moving vacuuming acorns. I thought I am comfortable at 28 but I am gonna put my 20 yard pin low because he is jumpy and maybe he will duck into it. His head went behind a bush and I drew back. I remembered what @Gadestroyer74 taught me don't grip the riser and use my wrist to draw the string don't tense my fingers up on the release. Soon as he pooped out from behind the bush I put it on the heart with my level bubble in line and let it fly. I heard the disappointing sound of arrow verses.leabes and ground not a balloon pop. He circled trying to figure where it came from then trotted off. When I found my arrow it was 34.5 yards from my climber. So my already shooting low to accommodate for him ducking because he was nervous was really low at that distance. At least I didn't hurt him. I am not too disappointed about missing because this is my rookie year and getting a lot of on the job training. But with that being said I am tired of being an Indian Outlaw next Saturday I am trading in my loin cloth, teepee, and Bow for buckskin pants and a repeating rifle. I sure.am.thankful.to the Lord for allowing us to get to enjoy this way of life.
Man that’s awesome !! Great story and keep it up. You may have hit a limb with your range finder that gave you 28. With a deer jumpy you did right. AIM for the heart or slightly above depending on angle. If he ducks you still get lung. Heck of an experience and glad you learned a lot from this outing. I still wouldn’t completely give up the bow. I use to take gun and bow with me. Close I shot with bow. Big buck out of range I grabbed the gun.

sprewett

Man that’s awesome !! Great story and keep it up. You may have hit a limb with your range finder that gave you 28. With a deer jumpy you did right. AIM for the heart or slightly above depending on angle. If he ducks you still get lung. Heck of an experience and glad you learned a lot from this outing. I still wouldn’t completely give up the bow. I use to take gun and bow with me. Close I shot with bow. Big buck out of range I grabbed the gun.
I will hunt with bow when in corp land because that is all that's legal. Other than that I definitely will have my savage. I will also hunt the extended archery in Paulding. So I ain't giving up and I will still shoot almost everyday but boy that target sure don't have nothing on shoot at a deer.

I will hunt with bow when in corp land because that is all that's legal. Other than that I definitely will have my savage. I will also hunt the extended archery in Paulding. So I ain't giving up and I will still shoot almost everyday but boy that target sure don't have nothing on shoot at a deer.
Sure don’t whole different ball game on live animals. One thing that really helps you get more relax and comfortable shooting at animals is to do just that. Shoot squirrels coons coyote's etc. it helps you with target panic and will build your confidence .plus takes out some predators and them pesky tree rats. Good eating on them too

DSGB

My middle grandson just shot him one while sitting with his dad
Congrats to the young man on a great buck!

As I was headed home I saw a tank of a buck crossing the road a couple miles from my lease and a doe a little later. They were moving, just not where I was sitting.