100 3 gallon pots - looking for a project (found one!!)

arrendale8105

I put several chestnuts I had in the refrigerator in those biodegradable small pots that you could just plant the whole pot in a bigger one later on as they grow and these 8 I verified had a taproot sprouting and headed down. I put them in a larger pot for this year and hopefully I’ll be able to set them out next winter. Was a little difficult as the biodegradable pot was already falling apart but I’ll see how they do.

Attachments

• IMG_6023.png
    IMG_6023.png
    869.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Jim Boyd

Good job Jim ! Them jokers are growing for 1 year old trees

Thank ya brother Harper.

Some of the branches are trying to grow through the vent holes - I made a tool from a clothes hanger to reach down in there and pull the branches up and into the tube.

Most pulled right up and a few broke off.

Gotta be careful because the tubes are loaded with small wasp nests already!

We watchin, brother…. We watching!

Jim Boyd

This is a little out of whack for this thread but here is one of my 4 year old sawtooth trees.

Crowned out nicely and is one of the best of the 100 we planted back then.

Hoping to see some nut production.

Maybe.

IMG_5034.jpeg

Gut_Pile

Correct me if I'm wrong, but those trees were already a year or two old when we planted them right?

In my mind they were 2

Jim Boyd

Correct me if I'm wrong, but those trees were already a year or two old when we planted them right?

In my mind they were 2

I think the oaks were 2 years old.

The pears were grafted and may have also been 2?

Think we put them in in the spring of 2019?

That said maybe they are closer to 5-6 years old. No acorns yet.

The survival rate on the pears is insane and pretty good on the sawtooths.

We gotta protect the trunks this fall - they getting clobbered and some will be girdled if we are not careful.

I wish now I had been more aggressive tree wise when we bought our small place.

Making up for it now, tho.

Jim Boyd

In my mind they were 2

I put in 1 year old oaks this year and they are more spindly (smaller) than the ones we put in back then.