100 3 gallon pots - looking for a project (found one!!)

slow motion

I may never sit under their shade but someone will. @Nicodemus
I've thought about this since you posted it brother Jim. The passion you have for your farm is evident. Thought I would suggest leaving some sort of journal for the next owner. Hopefully that's many many years from now but I'm sure they would appreciate the history you've had with the land that they would then own. Can't make it too easy to find as someone might assume it's trash and toss it. Conversely not too difficult to find either. Hopefully not too morbid. You know me I have strange ideas. I have enjoyed following along from the remodel of the farmhouse to the many land improvements to the hunts you've enjoyed. Proud for you my friend. Please continue to share your journey with us.

Jim Boyd

I've thought about this since you posted it brother Jim. The passion you have for your farm is evident. Thought I would suggest leaving some sort of journal for the next owner. Hopefully that's many many years from now but I'm sure they would appreciate the history you've had with the land that they would then own. Can't make it too easy to find as someone might assume it's trash and toss it. Conversely not too difficult to find either. Hopefully not too morbid. You know me I have strange ideas. I have enjoyed following along from the remodel of the farmhouse to the many land improvements to the hunts you've enjoyed. Proud for you my friend. Please continue to share your journey with us.

That is not morbid at all.

Think it is a great idea.

Love to chronicle the whole thing with pics.

The projects will ramp up in 2025 as we will be retired.

The land projects will continue but we are also going to expand the front porch and then take out two windows in the dining room, add a French door and build the deck on the north side of the house.

Gotta get busy on the new barn also!

Jim Boyd

Cloudy and warm here today.

Tractor battery is bad and I need some zip ties. Gotta run to town so might as well get a Hardee’s biscuit while there.

New tree tubes came in but they are clear up in lexington so I won’t have them this weekend.

I have maybe 20 tubes that I will get added today.

Worked til dark last night and got two fields disced in rough.

Picked up two sheds that I worry will poke a hole in a tractor tire.

Have 50 lbs of seed corn and I say every year that I am not gonna do it again - but gonna get the Ford 309 out and try it one more time.

I will get the 2024 tree project wrapped up pretty soon, the lengthening days portend the green up soon.

Bigbendgyrene

I will get the 2024 tree project wrapped up pretty soon, the lengthening days portend the green up soon.
Few of my sawtooths outside Tallahassee have already pushed out leaves. Now praying we don't get a late February/March heavy frost (trees will be just fine, but could impact acorn production).

Jim Boyd

Few of my sawtooths outside Tallahassee have already pushed out leaves. Now praying we don't get a late February/March heavy frost (trees will be just fine, but WILL impact acorn production).
FIFY

Jim Boyd

Definitely at least for some of them.

Picture doesn't do justice differentiating how much variation there is among the trees, but some haven't yet broken bud while the one that has the most green (2nd from the front in row to the right) is MUCH further along.

View attachment 1289478

Now that is a food lot.

Looks great!

How old are those trees???

Bigbendgyrene

How old are those trees???

All planted in 2016. Bit of variance in how tall they've grown with the tallest now about 30'. About half of them started dropping acorns by the fall of 2022. To the point of avoiding late frosts, didn't see quite as many this past year. Excited to see how they do whenever we finally have a consistently mild spring again.

Jim Boyd

All planted in 2016. Bit of variance in how tall they've grown with the tallest now about 30'. About half of them started dropping acorns by the fall of 2022. To the point of avoiding late frosts, didn't see quite as many this past year. Excited to see how they do whenever we finally have a consistently mild spring again.

Very nice

Jim Boyd

Jo and I did a quick tour this evening and of the 140+ trees in tubes, it looks like a 95+ % survival rate… so far.

Will get pics tomorrow!!!!!!!!

Jim Boyd

We were wrong yesterday….

145 trees in tubes.

2 appear dead.

0.014 fatality rate thus far.

Some look great and about 20 look poor but they are alive and greening up.

This is a poor one:

IMG_4967.jpeg