12 ga. Shotgun slug use

high tech. hunter

Hunting Ilinois second 4 day slug season with my Winchester X2 smooth bore turkey gun and have all the screw in chokes.
About to go shoot it with imp. cylinder choke recommended. What drop can I expect at 100 yards?
Not willing to invest in a rifled gun for 4 days a year!

Rabun

I would put a rifled barrel and scope on that sucker and put the whammy on a big Illinois buck. Either way, some time on the range is in order and will answer your questions.

Another option...I have a 20ga 870 I converted to a home defense gun and placed fiber optic sights on the vent ribs. Beats the heck out of just a bead when you're aiming a shotgun with slugs and you can take the sites off for wing shooting. Adjustable for windage and elevation.

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/pro...s&refType=&from=fn&ecList=7&ecCategory=120360

high tech. hunter

Hillbilly stalker

You can put a "rifled choke tube" in the barrel and really improve your performance. You can benefit from a sabot round that way. The Remington slugs have the trajectory on the side of the box, but always shoot it in first.

high tech. hunter

You can put a "rifled choke tube" in the barrel and really improve your performance. You can benefit from a sabot round that way. The Remington slugs have the trajectory on the side of the box, but always shoot it in first.
Never heard of a rifled choke tube ? Will check it out. Had a rifled slug gun and shot sabots but seldom used it so sold it! Txs.

high tech. hunter

Found a new Winchester rifled choke tube by Carlson on EBay for $38
Now to test sabots to see what shoots best. Txs. Again..

Hillbilly stalker

(y) I like them Hornady SST, them rascals are hot. We've killed a lot of hogs with them and never recovered one from a fully rifled barrel. They are different than the Hornady American whitetail slugs. Brenneke are serious slugs, as well as "Dixie slugs"

high tech. hunter

?

tbrown913

I love the light field hybrid exp. I do have a rifled barrel though. I shot the sluggers for a couple years with just the regular bb front sight on my 870. At 100 yards I could typically hit a pie plate, but I never shot at a deer past about 50 yards.

Dub

I know you stated you didn't want to spend the funds for just 4 days of hunting.

But then I read the "a year" part of that statement.

After doing a weeklong archery hunt in Illinois a few years ago....I came away with some of the most exiting hunts I've ever been on. I wish I could've taken my .270 along for the ride. :rofl:

If the 4-day shotgun hunt was one I could go on every year....I'd do whatever it took to get a slug gun set up & dialed in for top performance.

Best bucks I've ever encountered.

Sorry I can't offer any insight into your actual questions....all the shotgun use I've had in the deer woods was simply with buckshot.

Good luck to you. Hope you have some great hunting up there !!!!

JohnK

When I hunted Indiania I had sights that clamped to the rail and I could put 3 shots touching at 75 yards. I had better accuracy with 2 3/4 loads vs 3 inch. I think it was improved cylinder rem choke

jcd465

I use the HR ultra slugger with hornady sst sabots. They are unreal on deer. I shot a buck at 120 yards with that setup. Simple amazing performance that I would have never believed out of it until I saw it first hand.