Shot gun question

WishboneW

I have a Remington 11 87 special purpose 12 gauge with a 20" barrel. This barrel accepts screw in chokes. I have a Tru Glow gobble stopper, Remington factory improved, modified, full and xtra full turkey chokes.

How much distance loss vs a 24" barrel should I expect shooting Winchester high brass 2 3/4" #4 lead shot using a factory full choke?

My brother in law invited me to a pheasant shoot in Alabama on 10/16.
I have the option to use the 11 87, a Stevens 311 with plastic stock, Iver Johnson 16 Ga single choke bore barrel, and a Stevens 94 20 Ga improved cylinder barrel. I have #6 lead shot in 2/34" for the 16 and 20, with #4 and #5 lead or copper plated 2 3/4" in 12 Ga. I am not going to use my 3" 12 Ga turkey loads.

The 20 Ga. is my go to rabbit gun followed by the Iver Johnson. Both swing and shoot great. The 311 has 30" barrels and is punishing to shoot even with 2 3/4 " shells. I cannot swing it fast enough to get ahead of rabbits. The 11 87 I have used for turkeys and have killed 3 with it. At 30 yards I had to chase all 3 of them through the woods and ring their necks to finish them, shooting 3" copper plated "5 and 2 3/4" #5. It works great on rabbits though. I am concerned the barrel is not long enough to get proper velocity for pheasants.

I have never taken a shot at anything flying. What gun should I use?

Bobby Bigtime

#5 and #6 are perfect for pheasant. Pick the shotgun that points the best for you. What I mean is the one that when you bring it up to your shoulder you are aligned instantly with your bead/s without hunting around for them. That is the most important thing when wing shooting that and maintaining that sight picture through your swing. A lot different than shooting turkey and rabbit on the ground. Good luck!, Good times, and good eats.

Dub

If there is any way you can do it in the short time left….get to a sporting clays course pronto and try to sort it out quick.

A pitstop first at the range would be helpful in seeing your patterns.

Nimrod71

First question, is it a tower shoot/thrown birds or a field walk up hunt? Second question, how well do you shoot the 11-87 at flying birds?

I have hunted and shot pheasants both ways. If you shoot the 11-87 well enough I would use it with a Mod. Choke. Size 4-5-6 shot will work fine. The trick is, like shooting turkeys you need to shoot pheasants in the head or as close to it as you can. When flying pheasants look like a big target but the only part that has meat is the front 1/3. From the middle back is mostly feathers.

Good Luck

flintlock hunter

I agree with Bobby Bigtime. It's better to use the shotgun that fits you best. The only thing I can add is to find the load, whether it's 4-5-or6 shot, that gives the best pattern.

Sounds like a fun day coming up! And by the way, the pheasant won't know the difference between a 24" or 20" barrel.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
I don't like any wing shooting with a barrel less than 26 inches. Personally, they don't swing well at all.

I'd take the 20 ga. all day long, but I do 95% of my wing shooting with one.

BriarPatch99

I shot sporting clays and scored decent with a 22" barrel Browning BPS .... We shot every Sunday evening so practice is your friend ....

If I am understanding your question ....you will not lose any distance because of the shorter barrel .... a shotgun gets most of it velocity in about 18" of the barrel ....so no you will not loose distance ...

What you will loose is "sighting" advantages of a longer barrel ... the longer barrel gives a better chance to be on target ....if you are on target ... and the swing and or balance of a gun can come into play ...so a longer barrel can help with swing also ...

Last edited:

WishboneW

I'd take the 20 ga. all day long, but I do 95% of my wing shooting with one.[/QUOTE

Dustin

My brother in law’s daughter has my Browning BPS 20 gauge in Savannah. That would have been my first choice. 28 inch barrel pump

Last edited:

WishboneW

Thanks for all the help!

I will take my 11 87 with the 311 as back up. I have 3 boxes of shells due to generous members on ODT. The 11 87 does fit me well.

I do not know if the birds will be on the ground or out of a tower. I have never shot at anything flying

WishboneW

#5 and #6 are perfect for pheasant. Pick the shotgun that points the best for you. What I mean is the one that when you bring it up to your shoulder you are aligned instantly with your bead/s without hunting around for them. That is the most important thing when wing shooting that and maintaining that sight picture through your swing. A lot different than shooting turkey and rabbit on the ground. Good luck!, Good times, and good eats.

How far ahead of the bird should I put the bead? I think that is what you mean by sight picture? Bead, bird, and distance?

WishboneW

I agree with Bobby Bigtime. It's better to use the shotgun that fits you best. The only thing I can add is to find the load, whether it's 4-5-or6 shot, that gives the best pattern.

Sounds like a fun day coming up! And by the way, the pheasant won't know the difference between a 24" or 20" barrel.

#5 produces a good pattern with both my 12 gauge guns, at least on cardboard at both 20 and 30 yards

Newt2

How much distance loss vs a 24" barrel should I expect shooting Winchester high brass 2 3/4" #4 lead shot using a factory full choke?

My answer to this question is 4", that's with all things equal between the 2 barrel lengths. Barrel length is an issue with gun handling. I prefer a 26" barrel for bird hunting and Sporting Clays. My first time out I shot a 36 with my Browning 26" Auto 5 20 ga.

Bobby Bigtime

How far ahead of the bird should I put the bead? I think that is what you mean by sight picture? Bead, bird, and distance?
Great question! Closer birds about a foot to foot and a half as nimrod said you want to connect with the head. It doesn't take but a couple to a few pellets in their beedy little heads to take them out. They are too delicious to body shoot if you can avoid it. Birds farther out need more lead. Briarpatch and others have great points about practice and clays. The only thing with clays is you can chase them down with pellets. With game birds you want to be out ahead of them a bit. A great way to spend a fall day!

No detectable distance loss due to 20 inch barrel. Just a minimal velocity difference.

1187 21" barrels had a vent rib. Shorter barrels had sights or scope mount.