Help with an old shotgun

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
About 20 years ago my wife inherited her PaPa's shotgun. He called it his double barrel breech loader.
Stevens 311 double barrel 12 ga. It's been in the safe ever since.
It had a slip on rubber recoil pad on it for probably over 75+ years and it was in bad shape. When I took the pad off it had "adhered" to the stock.
I want to get it cleaned up, not really restored, just the old rubber residue cleaned off.
Need suggestions on how to proceed.

1705255455248.png

1705255521131.png

1705255574374.png

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I am no expert but have had success with a rag or 4-0 steel wool soaked with denatured alcohol and doing a little at a time. There is a good chance that it will soften the original finish on the stock but if you don't get to aggressive it will allow you to blend it all together. After a little trying you might want to do the entire stock this way.

Please remove the stock from the gun first.

GeorgiaBob

If the gunk is old adhesive and rubber, and you do not want to refinish the whole stock, you might try a little WD40 and a cotton cloth. Let the WD40 saturate the gunk and try to gently rub it off. If it doesn't work, it likely won't damage the finish either.

Liberty

I like Ballistol for attempted saves because it’s safe wood finishes in moderation, but it will soften up adhesives. It’s about all I use on the wood cruddy milsurps with a cloth rag unless removing the oil/ finish is needed due to oil soaking.

DannyW

kinda looks like the action has been shellacked at one time

Goo-Gone is some good stuff....that and a worn out toothbrush will clean about anything.
I agree...that is not an original 1934 finish. If you were to take it off, I think you will find a much better original finish.

fauxferret

kinda looks like the action has been shellacked at one time

Goo-Gone is some good stuff....that and a worn out toothbrush will clean about anything.

From what I've heard from the real old timers this was a method as well as beeswax to prevent rust here in the humid south.

Jester896

Senior Clown
From what I've heard from the real old timers this was a method as well as beeswax to prevent rust here in the humid south.
my Grandfather did that to his New Empire 16ga S/S. I had Mr. Garvin get it cleaned up and the wood refinished...looks great!

pjciii

J hope you are able to get it off and bring it round to firing shape. It's a nice looking shotgun

snuffy

My first gun when I was 11 back in 1961.
My dad gave it to me. 12 Ga. 30" barrels.
Fine gun wish I still had it but some fine young man broke into my house while I was at work and stole it,along with some others.

I think Murphy's Oil Soap will fix that stock up just fine