Shotgun Question

Poor Poor Fisherman

I’ve always owned 4 or 5 shotguns of various kinds. One is an old Winchester 12 gauge Model 24 side by side double that I bought used and have had for well over 50 years. And it is still in pretty good shape. I take it with me from time to time when dove hunting. I’m very, very comfortable with it and I still love shooting it! I have never owned an over and under but I have always wondered why the over and order configuration became so much more popular than the traditional side by side? The cost for a good quality shotgun in either configuration run close to the same from what I have seen.

Could someone enlighten me??

Thank you

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Over under is basically considered more accurate and on center.
I’d rather have one old as yours.
Post a picture.

Reactions: Dub

frankwright

For dove or upland birds I think it makes very little difference. For the guys shooting Skeet,Trap or Sporting Clays, having the barrels aligned is a big benefit when one clay can mean the difference in first or second place.
My hunting buddy shoots doves,rabbits and chukkars with a 28 ga SXS and nothing gets by him, so it depends on the shooters talent too.
I love the look of a SXS shotgun!

Dub

I know which end to stuff the shells in and where the bang switch is.....outside of that my shotgun knowledge tapers off quickly. :rofl:

Looking forward to seeing those pics of your trusty SxS. (y)

SC Hunter

I've always shot over unders slightly better than side by sides. I was told by a fella that shot alot and was very good at the competition trap and skeet thing that over unders point better. Something about side by sides blocking the target a little on crossing shots. ?‍♂️ I love all shotguns personally.