Shotgun Shells

TurkeyH90

Does anyone besides me find it incredible how sorry the quality of shotgun shells has become all the while rising in price? Finding an affordable target load to function reliably in an auto has become ridiculous. One would think that you don't have to spend well over $1000 in a shotgun to own an auto that will eat anything you load in it. Winchester is really struggling with making shells that function.

georgia_home

Cheap base metal bases will lock up pumps too. Mortar or ramrod ejection required.

had to pull the barrel several pumps to get the shell out as well, when ramrod was unavailable

Reactions: Dub

WishboneW

My 870s have had no problems with Winchester super x and rio dove loads. No issues with turkey loads

My stevens 94 has had a few problems with Winchester super x #6

Only real problems are the doves flew too fast and the rabbits run too fast

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Prices are definitely crazy. Actually, looking around the prices aren't as crazy as they have been. May be ordering me a couple cases. I mainly shoot 20 ga. with .410 mixed in now and then.

I've had really good luck with NSI (Noble Sport) the last few years. Remington Heavy Dove are also a very good shell that you can find at almost any Academy. I shoot mostly Baschieri and Pellagri in my .410.

fauxferret

Best recommendation I could give you is find a clay shooting club. Get several people together and see if you can buy from the same distributor as they get theirs from. Probably gonna need a forklift or at least a lift gate to deliver. But when talking bulk this is the only way to buy that offsets the cost of freight. If you have deep pockets just buy a pallet i think its 60 flats a pallet and sell it on the economy when the times get tough for everyone else.

TurkeyH90

I guess I should have explained this further. My son is on a shotgun team. The kids shoot several thousand rounds each spring. We had a couple new kids the other day. One had a Beretta Ultima 20. We tried 3 different shells that would not cycle. Last year I bought 8 flats of Winchester that my son's A300 would not cycle. It would cycle AA but not Targets. Finally had to trade out and get Remingtons. And to be clear this isn't about the shotguns so much because the only shotgun I've seen that will cycle all of them is the A400s. We are now shooting an O/U.

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
Pretty much everybody in 3gun is moving towards Federal Action Shotgun shells. I have attached the link below that will explain the tech behind the shells. It is somewhat unique. I know that since i changed to it i have zero malfunctions (2000 rounds). It was designed primarily for box fed shotguns, but my son who shoots a versa max has switched to it with same results. Its payload is great for what i use it for, not sure it would translate for what you do?

In the video, watch the second video and it discuses the trap version of the ammo, that might be more useful? But i know that Federal has been working with Dissident Arms for several years. DA builds the premium shotguns for open class action shooters.

I too have issues with Winchester shells in any auto . Having good results with Federal Top Gun shells cycling well .
A Beretta should cycle most anything but mine will not cycle the cheaper Winchesters .

Dub

Fingers crossed but I’ve had zero issues with my SBE3. It has eaten anything I have fed it like a hongry yard dog.

Broke it in with some stout duck shells and it has gone on to run even the weak junk that was available during covids.

SC Hunter

A group of us bought a bunch of rio's about 6 years ago. I still have 5 cases left of 20 gauge that I shoot during dove season. I bought a bunch of the 100 round packs from Walmart right before covid when they had them on sale for some reason. I bought 15 packs at 10 dollars each. My guns run them fine but all my shotguns have been shot alot and very broken in.

tr21

I guess I should have explained this further. My son is on a shotgun team. The kids shoot several thousand rounds each spring. We had a couple new kids the other day. One had a Beretta Ultima 20. We tried 3 different shells that would not cycle. Last year I bought 8 flats of Winchester that my son's A300 would not cycle. It would cycle AA but not Targets. Finally had to trade out and get Remingtons. And to be clear this isn't about the shotguns so much because the only shotgun I've seen that will cycle all of them is the A400s. We are now shooting an O/U.
get ya a Dillon press and go to town.

grif

I coach a shotgun team and the Winchester Super Targets will not function in many semiautos. The only Winchesters that I would use are the AA. Winchester has gone downhill for several years. Most economy Remingtons and Federals, which I believe are the same now, are pretty good.
Rio and B&P are the ones that I typically look for. Nobel sport are good too.

fauxferret

Also side note for those who shoot a lot of shotgun. Talked to our Winchester rep Monday he said its probably gonna be dark days early this year for shotgun production. They are already having to pare down their production for the AA line and expect this to run into all their other lines as well. So not to incite panic if you see ammo at a decent price may want to pick it up now while its available.

Dub

Also side note for those who shoot a lot of shotgun. Talked to our Winchester rep Monday he said it’s probably gonna be dark days early this year for shotgun production. They are already having to pare down their production for the AA line and expect this to run into all their other lines as well. So not to incite panic if you see ammo at a decent price may want to pick it up now while it’s olid available.

Solid advice.

Latest posts