1st lightning bug

Redbow

They have certainly declined big time here in our area of the NC coast. We might see a handful during summer but that's about it.

Redbow

Pesticides are everywhere.
I'm sure that is having a negative effect on a lot of insects of our memories.
You bet the pesticides are bad on wildlife and us as well IMO. Several species of birds have declined here also we rarely see a honey bee all summer long. There used to be Bats in our area we used to sit on the porch on warm summer evenings just b4 dark and watch them as they dashed and swirled after insects. Now we never see one.

Man is well on the way to destroying everything and in time including himself.

ucfireman

Man is well on the way to destroying everything and in time including himself.
Agree. And really all in about 150+- years.
I remember when I was a kid, 70s-80s. The Chattahoochee was "dirty", needing cleaning up. Well apparently we/they did and the water got pretty good (they said).
Now there is so much trash and peed out medicine and other human waste and trash its just sad.
Modern humans are the scourge of the Earth.

But I digress, Just glad to see some critters are still around.

Toliver

I just took the dog out to p and wasn't sure what I was seeing at first. I thought I was having a low sugar spell where I see sparkly lights flashing in front of my eyes. Turned out to be the most lightning bugs I've ever seen at one time. Looks like some kind of a mass hatch out or breeding gathering. Whatever it is, the trees in front of my house are a light show right now.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I saw my first bat of the year last night. It was just before 8pm, and it came flying across the yard and toward my shop, between the maple tree and the red oaks