2019 Oglethorpe County

Duff

Thx Duff! You close enuf. Join in and let us know what’s happening in ur neck of the woods.

Thanks! I haven’t made it down in a few weeks but looking forward to a long weekend after Thanksgiving.
IMO, we have way to many does on our property. Last time I hunted, I saw 13, 13, 15, 30 and 13 That’s 5 hunts in 4 different stands. Very little buck sign in the woods. We’ve only killed 1-2 good bucks the last couple years. (1200 acres). I know they are there, they just don’t have to move.

Some members are very protective of the does, and I understand why but a few need to be taken out imo. We have taken 6 this year and hope a few more before seasons end.

Mr C, Chuck came over and hunted with me last time I was down. I put him in my stand and he killed the best buck we’ve killed in 2 years. Lol. A dandy 8 pt.

Arrow3

Had a great afternoon hunt in Sandy Cross. I saw a pile of deer , not exactly sure how many they kept going in and out of the woods so much. It was definitely in the teens. Saw a real nice 3 1/2 year old 8 pointer. He was grunting 180 yards from me across a field and I could hearing him good. I may have to go back in there and get closer to the back with my AR-15. My goal this year was to kill a decent buck with it.. The deer this afternoon was a higher scoring deer then the one I killed.

BD.... I heard 2 shots over back towards your club.

oglebuck747

My dad got this one Thursday evening in OC. He claims it was a 300 yard shot. I wasn’t there to confirm it. However, he thought it was a miss but the next morning he went back to figure out a new stand placement to put himself in a better position because we a hunting pines that have just been recently been thinned and deer patterns a different. To make a long story short while scouting a new spot he found the buck he shot at the night before. I hate it the meat spoiled but it’s great that the buck didn’t end up with the coyotes.

Attachments

• 3F07DA3B-CF85-490B-BC74-3ACB48F3BBE9.jpeg
    3F07DA3B-CF85-490B-BC74-3ACB48F3BBE9.jpeg
    192.9 KB · Views: 46

Souhternhunter17

Been 2 weeks since I have been back down to our OC property and its only been hunted once since then. Football and duck season starting has kept me away. However I am itching to get back into the stand. I plan to be down there Thur-Sun off and on. Anyone still seeing many bucks moving does around?

Triple C

Been 2 weeks since I have been back down to our OC property and its only been hunted once since then. Football and duck season starting has kept me away. However I am itching to get back into the stand. I plan to be down there Thur-Sun off and on. Anyone still seeing many bucks moving does around?

Had a buck dogging a doe yesterday morning. But, nothing like it was 2 weeks ago. Still seeing deer pretty much every sit. Had a spike walk within 3 yds of me this morn while I was moving from one stand to another. I could almost have touched him when he walked by.

Buford_Dawg

I’ve been down since Friday AM. Seen zero chasing and few deer. Been tough trying to find a good buck for my son. We gonna hang with it.

Triple C

Back in same stand I hunted Friday afternoon. Grandson at the far end of this plot in another ladder. Quiet as a mouse. Just being honest...I’d doze off right now if I was sitting the Millenium ladder stand. Hoping one gets within 15 yds of either of us this afternoon.
2E39ABD5-343D-43A4-A555-5AF12CFE893D.jpeg

Arrow3

Cleaned my ducks yesterday afternoon from Sunday morning's hunt when I got home from work. Walked out to the backside of my 5 acres to clean them and spotted this. There was a scrape near it so I threw out about 5lbs of corn and put a camera up. My woods are so open that I'm sure that he did it at night but it will be cool to see him on camera. Screenshot_20191126-075024_Gallery.jpg

Triple C

Little smack down action on a porker with recurve...

Set up this morning near the creek with the swamp behind me. This is one of the prettiest spots on the property. Has a section of 30 yr old loblolly bordered by a creek bottom with mature hardwoods that drains into the swamp. I was set up on the edge of pines next to the hardwood creek bottom in a perfect red oak with lots of low limbs to hide me.

Had a spike come by at less than 5 yds but decided to give him a pass. Just after he passed by, I had a sounder of pigs come down the hardwoods vacuuming acorns. As they got closer I decided I was gonna sling an arrow if given the chance. This 80 poundish sow works her way to about 20 yds and turns broadside but I had junk between us. She turned and gave me a quartering shot at 23 yds. Drew back, picked my spot and released. Bam!!! Quartered the woodsman 3 blade right behind her ribs n up thru her boiler. 80 yds n heard the death squeal. Pretty proud of that shot as it doesn’t happen often.
A646E479-4F22-4B58-937F-A684D9EAAE89.jpeg

This was my view. Shot her in that fire break rd. D0DE4BCA-4B29-4BA6-A4D5-9338E707FD33.jpeg

Todd E

Little smack down action on a porker with recurve...

Set up this morning near the creek with the swamp behind me. This is one of the prettiest spots on the property. Has a section of 30 yr old loblolly bordered by a creek bottom with mature hardwoods that drains into the swamp. I was set up on the edge of pines next to the hardwood creek bottom in a perfect red oak with lots of low limbs to hide me.

Had a spike come by at less than 5 yds but decided to give him a pass. Just after he passed by, I had a sounder of pigs come down the hardwoods vacuuming acorns. As they got closer I decided I was gonna sling an arrow if given the chance. This 80 poundish sow works her way to about 20 yds and turns broadside but I had junk between us. She turned and gave me a quartering shot at 23 yds. Drew back, picked my spot and released. Bam!!! Quartered the woodsman 3 blade right behind her ribs n up thru her boiler. 80 yds n heard the death squeal. Pretty proud of that shot as it doesn’t happen often.
View attachment 992846

This was my view. Shot her in that fire break rd. View attachment 992847

That is great TripC. Way cool with the traditional gear. Is it your first traditional kill or just first in some time? Congrats, sir.

Perfect pig to split and que whole on the coals. Just get those glands out.