2019 Poult Report

Swamprat

Swamprat
All you have to do is get on here next Spring and talk about how you have no turkeys and they need to close the seasons or either allow in one turkey per hunter every decade and POOF everyone kills birds and has poults that very Spring!!

Talked to 3 folks at church today....one was the land I have permission to hunt and I asked him and he said he has not seen a one. Second is a public safety officer for the sherrif dept....he is all over the county I live in and he has not seen a one and he is ticking off areas that have healthy turkey populations. Third was a young man who works for a farmer that farms a few thousand acres in several spots within the county and he said he has not seen a poult either in areas where they traditionally seem them.

All I can say is our county has had a huge upswing in turkey population compared to even 5 years ago. All said they were seeing a bunch of hens and gobblers this spring but no explanation why they are not seeing poults.

Turkeytider

Talked to 3 folks at church today....one was the land I have permission to hunt and I asked him and he said he has not seen a one. Second is a public safety officer for the sherrif dept....he is all over the county I live in and he has not seen a one and he is ticking off areas that have healthy turkey populations. Third was a young man who works for a farmer that farms a few thousand acres in several spots within the county and he said he has not seen a poult either in areas where they traditionally seem them.

All I can say is our county has had a huge upswing in turkey population compared to even 5 years ago. All said they were seeing a bunch of hens and gobblers this spring but no explanation why they are not seeing poults.

Doesn`t mean they`re not there somewhere. My buddy hasn`t seen any on his property but is seeing whole groups of hens and gobblers. Young turkeys literally make a living laying low and staying out of sight. Seeing them is a bonus IMO.

Swamprat

Swamprat
I am talking about where myself and these 3 others have always seen poults in these areas. Nothing....nada this year. At this time of year you are generally seeing poults hanging with momma along field edges woods roads, etc, they are of size enough to be doing so.

ol bob

Western N.C, 11 hens 0 poults

hdgapeach

Seen two separate flocks within the last two weeks (in two bordering Counties). One had three hens with 14 little ones. The other had four hens draggin' along at least 15 poults.

The second group was hard to count. Scattered quick and went every direction on the compass! Funny watching them stumble and fall all over themselves trying to get outta the road.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Some good reports , my dad seen 3 different groups in Coffee co this past week

goblr77

Saw a group of 5 gobblers in Early County yesterday. I haven't recently seen the large group of poults I was seeing earlier this summer.

goblr77

Early County
08-06-2019
2 hens
8 poults

My wife sent me this photo she took on her way to work this morning. This is part of the large group I saw in June. Looks like quite a few of the poults are missing but I'm glad to see these made it.

Attachments

• IMG_6407.jpeg
    IMG_6407.jpeg
    221.6 KB · Views: 12

Gut_Pile

Our club in Early is loaded with poults this year. They are everywhere