2021 trees

arrendale8105

Planted 40 more trees last week and just got the grow tubes on today. 15 gobbler sawtooths, 10 Dunstan Chestnuts, 10 crabapple, and 5 deer candy persimmons. Got a few more coming to plant later. Some callaway crabapples, some chinqupin oaks, and some more Dunstans.

Attachments

• A48FCCCB-CF92-46F4-866C-96EF5C36DD47.jpeg
    A48FCCCB-CF92-46F4-866C-96EF5C36DD47.jpeg
    95.9 KB · Views: 69
  • BA991590-7172-4388-BB03-7EC78A5BB91F.jpeg
    BA991590-7172-4388-BB03-7EC78A5BB91F.jpeg
    92.9 KB · Views: 70

Jim Boyd

Awesome work!!!!!

Lilly001

I planted 4 persimmons and weeded the orchard.
That about wore me out.

That looks good. I started planting in 2015. Apples have been a big disappointment compared to my pear trees. If I had to do it over again, I would only plant assorted crab apples, Yates and Arkansas Black.

There are several late dropping pears out there. Kieffer is one of the best. Consider planting some fresh eating pears like Warren.

It looks like you may have a large project that may take you several years to finish. Consider buying some rootstock for apples, M111, and pears, OHxF. You can buy the rootstock, plant it where you want it, then graft them over the next couple of years. Callery pear rootstock produces a fast growing tree. You have to stay on top of it to keep it from reverting back to to Callery. Left unchecked, it becomes an invasive weed.

Grafting apples and pears are easy. I cut a whip and tongue, match up the cambium layers, secure with a grafting rubber, then cover with buddy tape. Drop a tree tube over it for the first year.

arrendale8105

I keep going back and forth in the pears. Seems like pruning them is a lot of work. I’m leaning towards several different types of crabapples in stead. I know the wild ones around here the deer wear out every year and the callaways supposedly drop really late. Also want to plant a few Nuttalls for really late dropping go acorns.