2023 Bear Kill Thread

Unicoidawg

Staff member
All right guys, post up your 2023 bear here and tell us about it.

6lbSledge

Hunted hard last year with a trad bow, hit one in the front leg bone without penetration at 6 yards, saw 7 bears within 30 yards but ended up bearless. This year I got back from elk hunting in CO (close, but no elk this year) and was already late to the game for bear hunting. The August scouting I had done showed that it was going to be a good mast year, so bad bear hunting year as they wouldn’t be nearly as concentrated on the landscape. Got a chance last Thursday to do an evening/morning backpack hunt and saw that it was early gun where I was headed so left the trad bow and took the rifle. Figured it would essentially be a scouting trip and was covering a bunch of miles in places that I knew from last year to be good. Hardly any sign, fresh or otherwise compared to last year but did find some and a good amount of hog sign. I was easing through the woods to a high seep and then was going to a bench where hogs often bed when I heard something coming up towards the seep from the bench. Surprisingly it was a bear!

I crouched and watched as it moved up the mountain towards me, wind was good so I wasn’t in a hurry. Thought the bear was small, but as it got closer I realized if it had been a pig I would have said 150-175lbs, so I realized it was an average GA bear. By this time it is 20 yards, it then turns towards me and walks to 6 yds, at which point I shoot it in the head and drop it in place. My first bear and first GA mountain hunt of the year. 3.5 mile pack out, almost all uphill and in the dark made it pretty rugged, but I had a cooler with block ice in my car (I always have this early season). Got the meat in the cooler at 10pm (killed the bear just before 7). Hiked back in to camp where I had left the game bag with head and hide hung up, slept the night and packed it and my camp out in the morning. Was able to stop by and get it tagged and tooth pulled on my way home.

The meat is fantastic, strongly reminiscent of beef brisket in flavor and texture to me. Had ribs last night and steaks a few days ago. Burgers would be awesome with the fat ratio and flavor so much of it I’ll grind for that.

Such a fun adventure in the mountains and I’m so thankful for the hundreds of thousands of acres of public land to explore here. Good luck out there!IMG_3610.jpeg71718801236__48664BF6-1193-4083-9A82-14C1CB5097F1.jpegIMG_3619.jpegIMG_3617.jpeg

chrislibby88

Oh that’s a good boar @6lbSledge and that headshot hole on the skull is dope. Congrats man! The meat is fabulous. Relish it. It doesn’t come easy and is never guaranteed.

6lbSledge

Hunted hard last year with a trad bow, hit one in the front leg bone without penetration at 6 yards, saw 7 bears within 30 yards but ended up bearless. This year I got back from elk hunting in CO (close, but no elk this year) and was already late to the game for bear hunting. The August scouting I had done showed that it was going to be a good mast year, so bad bear hunting year as they wouldn’t be nearly as concentrated on the landscape. Got a chance last Thursday to do an evening/morning backpack hunt and saw that it was early gun where I was headed so left the trad bow and took the rifle. Figured it would essentially be a scouting trip and was covering a bunch of miles in places that I knew from last year to be good. Hardly any sign, fresh or otherwise compared to last year but did find some and a good amount of hog sign. I was easing through the woods to a high seep and then was going to a bench where hogs often bed when I heard something coming up towards the seep from the bench. Surprisingly it was a bear!

I crouched and watched as it moved up the mountain towards me, wind was good so I wasn’t in a hurry. Thought the bear was small, but as it got closer I realized if it had been a pig I would have said 150-175lbs, so I realized it was an average GA bear. By this time it is 20 yards, it then turns towards me and walks to 6 yds, at which point I shoot it in the head and drop it in place. My first bear and first GA mountain hunt of the year. 3.5 mile pack out, almost all uphill and in the dark made it pretty rugged, but I had a cooler with block ice in my car (I always have this early season). Got the meat in the cooler at 10pm (killed the bear just before 7). Hiked back in to camp where I had left the game bag with head and hide hung up, slept the night and packed it and my camp out in the morning. Was able to stop by and get it tagged and tooth pulled on my way home.

The meat is fantastic, strongly reminiscent of beef brisket in flavor and texture to me. Had ribs last night and steaks a few days ago. Burgers would be awesome with the fat ratio and flavor so much of it I’ll grind for that.

Such a fun adventure in the mountains and I’m so thankful for the hundreds of thousands of acres of public land to explore here. Good luck out there!View attachment 1257862View attachment 1257863View attachment 1257865View attachment 1257866
Just got the hide back from being tanned by a friend’s daughter who did a great job. Dog isn’t sure about all this

Attachments

• IMG_3667.jpeg
    IMG_3667.jpeg
    149.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_3665.jpeg
    IMG_3665.jpeg
    126.3 KB · Views: 40

bmoss

Looks good if I ever get lucky enough to get one may have to get you to hook me up