Late season bears

tradhunter98

After reading all I can find about bears in the late season I’ve decided to see what I can learn by a new post. When you guys head out looking for late season bears, what are you looking for? How do you go about it?

I blew a golden opportunity in the early season on a good size bear with my recurve over white oaks. After chasing deer for two months I want to make one last push up the mountain. Just not entirely sure what game plan to take. Below is the bear I gave a good scare and a education.

Attachments

• C08AB458-7E22-4B78-A32A-634767458271.png
    C08AB458-7E22-4B78-A32A-634767458271.png
    1 MB · Views: 37

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
^What ddd said...
He seems like a good bear hunter with lots of local knowledge. (And a good sport.)
But you have to stay away from areas with large amounts of trail cams on public land... too many in one area can ruin yer hunt. ::ke:
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Sorry ddd, I couldn't resist.. :bounce:
:cheers:

turkeykirk

^What ddd said...
He seems like a good bear hunter with lots of local knowledge. (And a good sport.)
But you have to stay away from areas with large amounts of trail cams on public land... too many in one area can ruin yer hunt. ::ke:
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Sorry ddd, I couldn't resist.. :bounce:
:cheers:
Got a cave in the side of the mountain where my cabin is. Maybe I should put a trail cam there. :rofl:

Professor

Really, it’s the same strategy. Walk a lot and find a lot of fresh bear crap. Need water nearby. Start there and keep walking.

NCMTNHunter

I’ve never still hunted for bear late season but have hunted with dogs a bunch in December. If I were to still hunt late I wouldn’t discount old sign. Especially if I hadn’t found anything else. It’s not uncommon to turn dogs loose on a track that’s a couple days old and jump the bear within a few hundred yards this time of year. Once the temps drop they will lay up for days at a time and not do much. Sometimes they’re not far from that old sign.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
But you're not in GA. Correct?
A quick click on my profile can tell you that, WV to be exact.

Bears will be bears regardless of zip code, especially when terrain and weather are similar. Correct? Just like the post before mine described bear hunting with dogs to a T for my buddy's hunt this morning.

KentuckyHeadhunter

A quick click on my profile can tell you that, WV to be exact.

Bears will be bears regardless of zip code, especially when terrain and weather are similar. Correct? Just like the post before mine described bear hunting with dogs to a T for my buddy's hunt this morning.
I wasn't paying attention to all that just saw the dog pic. No offense intended. Didn't know if you traveled to hunt elsewhere. Half my family is from WV. McDowell Co. I know the boars are still roaming here in GA for sure.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
I wasn't paying attention to all that just saw the dog pic. No offense intended. Didn't know if you traveled to hunt elsewhere. Half my family is from WV. McDowell Co. I know the boars are still roaming here in GA for sure.
NP brother. I'm in Fayette county.

They've taken some young ones and females on the lease also, treed a couple females with bigger cubs here.

When I see them, usually it's halfway up on the sunny side of the mountain, top is too windy and the bottom is too shady. Definitely helps having snow on. Usually running logging roads, you and/or the bear

Last edited: