2024 Oglethorpe County

Buford_Dawg

Spent all day in OC yesterday, must of walked 5 miles or so, looking for any signs of a bird. Was at one property before daylight and listened and nothing except whiperwills and crows. Hit 2 more properties thru the afternoon. Gonna be a lean year again for me in OC. I heard one bird gobble last spring and that was all. I may not even hear one this spring. Good luck guys, hope some of you are in better shape. I will be down this coming Friday and try it Sat and Sun, but I don't have any hopes at this time.

Buford_Dawg

4 hunters hunting 3 different properties (Sandy Cross, Glades, Vesta) and not one bird heard. Disappointing to see where our turkey population has gone. No longer a huntable population where I am. Any body got a solid idea how the population has gotten so low? We've always had predators as long as I hunted OC with exception of the coyote, all the others have been there thru time. Loss of habitat maybe, lots of hardwoods stands are now planted pines. I am at a loss of how bad it has gotten.

MYRX

I can tell you I hunted Alabama below Montgomery on 3 tracts last week and they have plenty of turkeys. You know the 1 thing I didn't see while I was there? Chicken houses...
A lot of truth in that statement. I recall in the past, several articles written about chicken manure being broadcasted on fields and potential problems. We also have an increasing hog population that eats the turkey eggs if they find them.

Arrow3

Alabama bird I called in for my buddy. Look at those double full beards...I've killed roughly 90 longbeards and never killed one with full double beards. I've killed probably 20 multiple bearded birds and Keith has killed like 7 turkeys total and he gets one :rofl: 20240329_095826.jpg

ADDICTED2HUNTIN

I think I may have killed the only gobbler on our place this year. Saturday was dead silent, like DEAD! I left around 9am and headed to my other place In Hancock. Called up a couple of jakes blind calling, got up and moved around and struck what I thought was a bird around 11am that wound up being 2. They hung up at 60 and wouldn’t come any closer!!!

Went back down there Sunday morning and heard one gobble :unsure:

Sat down on a food plot just to listen and blind call, called in 2 jakes and a hen. That was it for the weekend

Todd E

I can tell you this.......GP was full of turkey hunters Saturday morning fueling up their tummies. There must be some birds somewhere. It wasnt like they had time to be booking it to another county.

I hit the only place I can go. Once it got light, I saw a waste land of a clear cut across from the ridge I was on. Just leaned into a tree and listened to nature awaken. Never even pulled a call out.

Buford_Dawg

I can tell you this.......GP was full of turkey hunters Saturday morning fueling up their tummies. There must be some birds somewhere. It wasnt like they had time to be booking it to another county.

I hit the only place I can go. Once it got light, I saw a waste land of a clear cut across from the ridge I was on. Just leaned into a tree and listened to nature awaken. Never even pulled a call out.
I was wondering where you been, LOL... Hadnt seen any pig or yote pictures lately.

Arrow3

Killed a gobbler with my late father's Stevens Double barrel 16 gauge this morning in Oglethorpe County. This gun hadn't shot a turkey in 40 years. After taking the gobbler I just sat in the same place for about 45 minutes just soaking it all in...20240418_080937.jpg