257 Weatherby load testing

GregoryB.

Recently picked up a new Ruger #1B in 257 Weatherby and topped it with a Leupold VX3i 3.5x10. Had a few test rounds loaded with 100gr Nosler Ballistic tips. Set up at 100yds and fired a few 5 shot groups. The 64gr of IMR 4831 shot best. I pulled the 5th shot when a fly bit me. Was shooting in shorts out in the horse pasture in full sun. Got some 80 and 100gr Barnes TTSX to try but that 2nd group may be hard to move away from. Used some ply wood and 2 saw horses for a portable bench. Works pretty good. 20200828_122142.jpg20200828_123249.jpg

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Congratulations on picking up that Ruger. I have my father's .257 Weatherby Magnum that he bought at JC Penney in the early 1970's. I don't think you'll find a better cartridge for serious long range shooting.

GregoryB.

Jester, I have no idea of the speed. Nosler shows a velocity of 3268fps with that load and a 26in barrel. Barnes shows that 64gr charge with the 100gr TTSX to be pretty accurate. May try it since I have some on hand. May be able to tighten those groups up some by changing the magnification on my scope. Didn't realize until I was cleaning it that I left it on 3.5 power and the cross hairs were covering the bulls eye and blacking it out while I was shooting.

GregoryB.

Jester, that 60 and 64gr charge was originally meant for a 100gr TTSX since that was the listed min and max charge. I ran out of the TTSX so I loaded the Nosler in its place that's why the min load data didn't match the Nosler manual.

Jester896

Senior Clown
That is a little confusing...the link I posted is the same info that in in my Nosler manual...you have to click on the bullet weight on the top tabs...the first page is 85gr.

My Barnes info on IMR4831 lists min @ 63gr max @ 68gr on the 100gr TTSX?

the 4350 is a strong vertical string and looking at the book for the load that may be the reason. I might try backing that off a bit and see if it doesn't group better. I would like to see the primers on those fired cases. :D

what primer are you using?

You are very close on the 4831 load...I would play a little higher and a little lower to see if it changes before I started changing seating depths to see if you can get it there the rest of the way.

That's a good lookin rifle...you're going to enjoy it

GregoryB.

Jester, I will take your advice and tweak that load of 4350 some.
I used Federal Magnum rifle primers and they looked perfect before I decapped them.
My Barnes data was a old printout that only showed 2 powders. I see the new list has 6 powders with IMR 4831 of 60 and 64grs with only the 100gr TSX BT listed.
The 4831 was originally meant for the 100gr Barnes but the Nosler Bullet was substituted when I ran out of Barnes, that's why the Nosler data didn't match. Already had the brass primed and charged so I rolled with it since they were both for 100gr bullets.
Your reloading knowledge is always welcome. Gregory.

Jester896

Senior Clown
:) there is probably a good node both higher and lower...I'm just not sure I got the hoo haas to work the higher one.

from your statements you lead me to believe the horizontal issues are from POA issues and not primer issues. Winchester primers tend to run hotter. The Barnes data is using 215M not 215

Do clean your barrel in between the strings to remove the characteristics the different powders

bullgator

I’m also a little curious how you ended up with a heavier charge of the faster burning 4350. Were those all the same bullet?

GregoryB.

Bullgator, looked in my Nosler manual and it shows a max load of 64grs for the 4350 for the 100gr bullet. It may be load data that was given to me, or I could have just screwed up. All 15 shots were the same bullet.
Jester, I didn't clean the barrel between groups. I honestly wanted to shoot the loads up so I could load the Barnes in them that I just got. Plus it was hot out in the full sun and I wanted to get back to the AC.
Will tweak the loads some, maybe a different primer and take more time shooting. Hopefully a cloudy day is in the near future.

GregoryB.

Jester , that's why I said I could have screwed up the load or I could have gotten the load from someone who ran it HOT
May start fresh with the 80 or 100 grain TTSX next week since I am low on those Noslers and it's hard to find stuff in stock now.

GregoryB.

Bullgator, I found out where I got the 66gr of 4350 from, it came from my Lyman manual for 100gr bullet 59 min and 66 max. Since I was shooting a Weatherby load I decided to push it at max to see what it would do.

BriarPatch99

Jester , that's why I said I could have screwed up the load or I could have gotten the load from someone who ran it HOT
May start fresh with the 80 or 100 grain TTSX next week since I am low on those Noslers and it's hard to find stuff in stock now.

Keep us posted about the 80 grain TTSX ..... You should be 3800+ fps with the WB ....

I chronograph my .25/06 with the 80 grain TTSX at 3680 fps out a 22" barrel .....

GregoryB.

Jester, in post #6 you said Barnes shows 63 min and 68 max for IMR 4831 for the 100gr TTSX. I can't find that. When I go to their site I find the 100gr tsx and it shows 60 and 64grs of 4831. Am I missing it somewhere ? Gregory.