357 mag for deer

TomC

I've been eyeing 357 sigs as a possible alternative in a semi. I prefer semi's, looks like a decent compromise between 40 cal's and 10MM's.

rockypoco

I don't think there was ever a barrel limit restriction for hunting, but I remember there being an energy (ftlbs) limit on .357 ammo.

GunnSmokeer

when and where?

When was there a minimum "power factor" or foot-pounds of energy requirement for hunting deer with a handgun?

In Georgia?

20+ years ago, maybe?

I've read the published regulations each year for the past 10 years, and I don't recall seeing anything like that.

I think it should be in there. It should not be legal to hunt deer with a .25 caliber Saturday Night Special (loaded with 60 grain hollowpoint bullets), open sights, and a 2.2" barrel.

(Any gun should be approved for finishing-off a wounded animal that is down and not moving, but this would have to be a back-up gun to your primary hunting arm).

rockypoco

Not sure how long ago it was, but I remember ther was because a .357 was the only handgun I had at the time.

HotDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by trial&error
quit loading those xtp's for hunting and you would not have lost them. stick with hard cast lead for complete pass through.

I agree on the hardcast bullet for penetration, but are they legal? Regulations say "expanding bullet" and most hard cast I have ever shot expand very little if any?

A bullet with controlled expansion design is still an expanding bullet.

Hey what do yall think about me using my 357 ruger security six with a 4.5 bbl for muzzleloader season(yes im under 16 so i can use firearms during muzzleloader season)
thanks

bcraig

158 soft point or hollow point. 180 doesn,t perfom as well ,not enough velocity.More of a bullet weight and design for 14 inch Contenders,and at that still doesn,t expand all that well.
Cast shoots well but if they are Hard cast (water dropped wheelweights) they dont work worth a crap on deer 1 read all the crap on how great wide meplats are and how great they are BUT I promise you you will find out different!Now on the other hand if want great performance from cast then cast your own and use two pots ,pour about half or so (do some experimenting for yourself) to find the expansion you want for your load) of harder material(wheelweights will work) for the bottom of the bullet for little leading of the barrel and pour the rest with soft lead for expansion and you will have a jim dandy of a bullet for deer! and you can make just enough for hunting and use practice bullets out of the same mold with hard cast bullets and both of those bullets (the hard cast and the softpoint )will shoot to the same point of aim.
Any thing will kill but when you can get enough penetration and expansion why punch small holes in game ?
Again there is a difference in HARD cast and cast bullets.
Cast bullets that expand kill fine ,HARD cast with no expansion kill much slower.Now IF the game requires the use of HARD cast to get enough penetration and an expanding bullet will not reach the vitals then a HARD cast is the ONLY choice but for deer there are much much better bullets than either a HARD CAST or too heavy a bullet (180 xtp)I would use a sturdy 158 jsp or jhp in the 357 Mag revolver.
YMMV
Craig

When was there a minimum "power factor" or foot-pounds of energy requirement for hunting deer with a handgun?

In Georgia?

Yes. The minimum was 500 foot/lbs of energy at 100 yards. I have no idea where that came from.

At that time, hardly any manufacturers published downrange pistol ballistics so no one really knew what that meant.

One problem is that despite the advertisement of a well known Georgia ammo remanufacturer, there was no commercial .357 magnum load that would meet that standard (may be now, don't know), and no SAAMI approved reloads in .357 that would meet that standard. Even in .41 and .44 magnum it takes a pretty hot load to put that much energy downrange.

Off the top of my head, I'd say 20-25 years ago.

I'm trying to remember, but way back (40 years ago) I don't think you could deer hunt with pistols at all.

smirker

Ga. did have a Min. foot pounds years ago. I believe it was 500ft.lbs. remaining at 100 yards. I remember trying to help a friend loading for a 8in. Dan Wesson .357. I also remember some of the hot loads coming close, but not making it. I was having trouble doing it with a 4 in. S&W Mod.29.