4 wheeler for real men...

Donkeytoe

Must be one of those new "altrnative fuel" vehicles Kerry is touting for his "fellow hunters". Think i'll pass :D :D

Skipper

Banned
Don't laugh at a man's 4 wheeler. Mine's sort of embarrasing as well. Being the cheap skate I am, I've rigged an old riding lawn mower that someone threw out and give to me to serve as a 4 wheeler. No deck, tractor treads, that old piece of junk will flat go. Really, I don't use a 4 wheeler often or I should say my riding mower. Just to drag a deer out or work food plots back in the woods or snake in a ladder stand something like that. Grief from the rest or not, it works and I ain't got a monthly payment on it. Like I said, it was free. I did have to buy 3 tires a coil and 2 spark plugs (18hp v-twin Briggs) so I've got about $150 in it.

I had it in the truck with me when I got commondeered for the search this weekend. When the forest service finally relented on the no 4 wheeler or chainsaw rule for us Sunday, I loaded up a chain and saw and headed in with the 4 wheelers behind me to clear the log road of blowdowns so we could get farther in without wearing ourselves out from the road. That little tractor did well skidding logs and would go a lot of places the 4 wheelers couldn't or wouldn't. I didnt' have a bit of a problem riding down saplings and busting back into some of the points and ridges.

They all laughed, but when the call came for the rapell teams to head to the cliff area, the guys who had doubled in on the backs of 4 wheelers were walking. The DES guys had a mule with a cab on it, and I think by the time they finally got it back to where I'd marked my Green Machine they were ready to trade. ::huh:

Skipper

GeauxLSU

Skipper,
Now come on! You can't post a story like that without a picture of that finely tuned machine!! :clap: :p :D
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

D

dave

GeauxLSU said:
... you know I bought a bicycle I was going to use but instead I think I'll get this "4 wheeler". You man enough...? :eek:
http://www.crank-it.com/
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

I bet those LSU ball players needed a bike like that after the whoopin they took last Saturday
:D :D :D ;)

CAL

Skipper,
I am with you 100%.It isn't being cheap as you said.There is nothing wrong with using what you have.I agree with you on the payments also.I find it is also great fun to build something like you are talking about.That deer stand don't have any idea how it got where it is either.
As someone posted,you have got to post a picture of your machine!I am waiting to see it.What kind of running gear and frame does it have? :cool: :cool: :cool:

GeauxLSU

dave said:
I bet those LSU ball players needed a bike like that after the whoopin they took last Saturday
:D :D :D ;)
Nope. They couldn't sit down! :eek:
Skip, pictures! :)
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

Mrbowdeadly

I wanna see a pic too!!! We should have an "ugliest four wheeler contest".

MBD

Skipper

Banned
I wouldnt' think there are many uglier than the Green Machine. :bounce:

Actually, this one is the second one of these goofy creations I've come up with. I built the first one when I was in middle school. Dad had/has a huge yard and at the time, it had several virgin growth oaks, elm, and maple in it as well as a hord of magnolia. From old enough to hold a rake on, I had to rake up the leaves, haul them to the garden and burn them. A wheel barrow was pretty useless as were garbage bags. What worked like a charm though was heavy appliance boxes. We'd take a rope and a scrap board and make a handle for it to drag it by. Just drag it to a pile of leaves, turn it over, fill it and drag it to the garden. I soon figured out that if I tied it to the riding mower, I could drag 7 or 8 boxes at the same time. I fixed up an old Monkey Wards mower to do the pulling with. No deck, just motor, frame and wheels. Later on, my buddies started getting go carts, but dad was sorta like me. Tight. I never got a go cart, but I rigged ole Monkey Ward to go. It had a hydro tranny hooked to a chain drive gear reduction. I beat the gears off the shaft and swapped the little one with the big one. Instead of gear reduction it was gear multiplication. :cool:

It wasn't long after that that guys started getting 3 wheelers then a few years later, 4 wheelers. I drove the old monkey around with my buddies in their go carts. The little rig was taller than the carts and would go a lot of places they couldn't, but when it came to the 3 wheelers, it was no contest.

One day with about 10 loaded boxes behind it, I soused on it and snapped the shaft on the hydro drive. Then I took it apart to see if I could fix it. :speechles It must take some practice to put all those springs, ball bearings and such in that housing. I had several parts I didn't think it needed. Well, they didn't have somewhere they seemed to fit anyway.

You know, telling this story makes me think, my old Monkey mower is sitting in the barn where I parked it. I'm needing a seat for the green machine. I know now where a doner is. ::huh:

Skipper

Ga-Spur

I had a grandson today ask me what kind of motorcycle I had when I was a boy. He said he was going to keep his the rest of his life. I told him I had a mule that would go anywhere.

nevamiss270

GONetwork Member
My 4 wheeler is a sorta home brew creation. It started out as a 80 something suzuki lt230 racing quad - the previous owner fabbed racks and a trailer hitch ball mount on it and painted it good ol boy camo. It was 400 dollars and runs like a charm. Its a little loud - but i only use it when the deers already hit the dirt so that doesnt really matter now does it? The only work we have had to do is a carb rebuild and it needs a new chain and sprocket (total of about 60 bucks) I'd love to have a new yamaha bruin - but for now being a college student this one does just fine.

EuroTruck

Mrbowdeadly said:
We should have an "ugliest four wheeler contest".

Here is my entry...... :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

70554GhettoATV.jpg

-ET

H

HT2

Phil......

I guess I wouldn't fall into the class of a "real man" then......

I'd have to pass on that "thang"...... :speechles :speechles :speechles