44magnum

Darrell H

Here is my choice in a 44 Mag:
100_0374.jpg

For deer, almost any 240-300 grain JSP or JHP should work fine. I took this small N. GA Bear with mine in early November last year.
100_0361.jpg

It ran 15 yards and piled up. I consider it a 150 yard cartridge.

tdw3684

Yes a Ruger Superblackhawk with a 10.5" barrel. My uncle showed me how to true up the chambers and fire lap the barrel years ago. The stainless steel on the Rugers is really strong so I fired about 100 of the lap compound coated bullets through it to get results. It takes a while but it's worth the trouble. When I started I was lucky to keep all the bullets on a pie plate at 100 yds. I wanted to shoot silouettes with the gun so something had to be done. I wish they could do it at the factory but the guns would double in price with all the hand labor. The article 'the do-it-yourself sixgunners kit' on Bear Tooth explains basically what I did. I also had an 2.5x8 power leupold on it and shot 280 grain WFN cast bullets with gas checks for the best groups.

I also own a Remington xp100 from 1970-something and it's the most accurate handgun I have ever owned. It is chambered in 7mm Bench Rest. The first group I ever fired with it went 5/8" at about 75 yards. I still have the target on the wall from twenty years ago. Anyone I hand it to can hit a coke can at 200 yards if it's not windy.

I would love to have one of E. Auther Browns BF pistols. I read an article where the author was shooting primer trays at 500 meters with one chamber in 6.5 Bench rest magnum.

Last edited:

Darrell H

Sweet gun! nice bear for up there. WMA?

Thanks! I literally see more bears than deer anymore. Bears of this size are about average for the area; I've personally seen them up to 250-300 pounds but some 400-500 pounders are taken occasionally. I shot my first bear in 1992 with a bow and had a rug made out of it. I don't care for the meat, so I haven't shot one since (until last year of course). I'm no biologist but I think that they are overpopulated so I decided to take one last year. This one was taken on some National Forest land near (but outside) Cohutta WMA.

Old Coach

I have a T/C Contender withn a 30-30 AI 14" bbl.
With my handloaded 125grn Nosler Bt @ 2600fps it will shoot sub MOA @100 yds.
It has a Burris 2X7 scope and is carried in a bandolier holster.

Coach

Thanks! I literally see more bears than deer anymore. Bears of this size are about average for the area; I've personally seen them up to 250-300 pounds but some 400-500 pounders are taken occasionally. I shot my first bear in 1992 with a bow and had a rug made out of it. I don't care for the meat, so I haven't shot one since (until last year of course). I'm no biologist but I think that they are overpopulated so I decided to take one last year. This one was taken on some National Forest land near (but outside) Cohutta WMA.

I've heard that about Cohutta. My family has some land up there in Jones Settlement. I used to hunt it a lot. Should have sprang for a contender back then. Would have made the long hikes up there far more doable...

Gabob

I have killed deer with Ruger Super Blackhawk, Model 29 S&W and Marlin Carbine. I prefer the Hornady XTP 240 gr. The one I shot with a lead cast bullet died about 25 yards from where it was shot but left no blood trail. Remember that the .44 bullet drops about 4 inches at 100 yards. I personally limit shots now with .44 to about 75 yards although one was killed at 130 yards.

Auchumpkee Creek Assassin

Gone But Not Forgotten
i use a TC 44mag super 14 contender, w/nikon 2 x glass, killed hogs at 75 yds, and deer at 80 yds...........with hornady ammo

deerslayer357

sighted in my Ruger Super Redhawk 9.5" w/ Leupold 2X scope this weekend, got it shooting where all 6 rounds can be covered with a bottle top at 50 yards! I'm ready to try this baby out!!!

Browtine

Would there even be a point in hunting with a 4" barrel? I am thinking about getting a 629 V-Comp with 4" tube and sort of thought about giving handgun hunting a try since I've never done it. I don't think I'd want to shoot 100 yards with a four inch, but figured 40-50 yards max would be ok. :huh:

tv_racin_fan

If you can hit a 4" circle at whatever range you like I'd say go for it.

I don't mean rested I mean offhand.

bigtruck

Banned
Efective Range For A .44 Magnum.

Well according to the the people from Magnum Research they use to claim that there Desert Eagles were effective 200 meter out of there 6" barreled weapon, if you ever shot a Desert Eagle I don't disagree they have very little recoil even less with the 10" hunter barrel. Also Desert Eagles love very hot loads 165 gram 175,180,195,200. specially those Corbon, Blackhills and Agillar ammo. But if you are on a budget nothing beats that 10.5" Ruger New Supper Blackhawk with an Aim & Point red dot scope. Back in the eight's the French use to use the Smith and Wesson Mod. 29 with an 8 3/8 barrel for a close range sniper weapon.

Marlin_444

50 to 100 yards max...

In a light magnum revolver - S&W / SBH use 200 - 300 grain max (cylinder lack of head space)...

Use a garrett - http://www.garrettcartridges.com/44mag.asp

CAST 310 - 330's in a Heavy Magnum Revolver - SRH or BFR (lotsa room in those cylinders)...

Either choice, if you do your part will put the KA-BOOM-PLOP on them...

I neck shot a doe with iron sights using a Win. 94 and Winchester .210 Grain Silver Tips at 75 Yards...

With practice, I am confident with my Hawes Marshal inside .50 yards using a .240 grain hollow point...

Practice makes perfect... You may want to "Roll your own" :)

Ron

Handgunner

Would there even be a point in hunting with a 4" barrel? I am thinking about getting a 629 V-Comp with 4" tube and sort of thought about giving handgun hunting a try since I've never done it. I don't think I'd want to shoot 100 yards with a four inch, but figured 40-50 yards max would be ok. :huh:
With practice I don't see why you couldn't hunt with it...

Gentleman4561

100 yards is fine even farther out of a rifle with the leverevolution stuff