Contenders anyone?

johnpoulan83

Missed The Vote
The 44 with a good rest can be sent out to 150 yards well. Have two, a ten inch and a 14. I reload so have a tame cast load and a hotter jacketed one. I set my limit by keeping shots on a paper plate as well as a cardboard deer in the kill zone.
As for the Contender, was my first handgun and now have a double digit herd. Posted the pic before, this is part of the herd, some were camera shy. Have from 22 to 45-70.
My favs are the 35 Remington and 41 magnum.
What’s the one at the very top?

Buster Crosby

I hunt with a 14 super in 44. And have one in30/30 have killed deer and hods with both. I use Hornady lever evolution in both calibers. Both will leave an exit wound in most cases
Was rummaging through a drawer and found a 10” .44 mag barrel that I forgot I had. Was part of a trade I made 10 years ago. Plan to hunt with it some this season.

I sighted it in with 240 grain factory load soft points. Was shooting indoors, so at 25 yards. Tight groups from a rest, but some serious recoil. Way more than my buddy’s Smith revolver.

Curious what others think of the .44 in a Contender. Feeling confident out to 50 yds, maybe a smidge further with a good rest.

View attachment 1108380

Lonegle57

John,
just saw your question. In that pic the top gun is a 16 inch 45-70
with a folding stock. Still havent shot it but plan to soon. Recently
brought a 45-70 Encore home, traded off the 14 inch Contender
thinking less of a chance of frame stretch with the Encore.