Reduced recoil hand load for 30-30

Jester896

Senior Clown
I haven’t been able to find 150gr for mine for some time.
Will the flex bullets require you to short trim the cases like other FTX bullets do?
Is it IMR4895 or H4895 that is suitable for reduced recoil loads?
Sorry you aren’t a little closer… I have H4895 and Trail Boss on hand.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I haven’t been able to find 150gr for mine for some time.
Will the flex bullets require you to short trim the cases like other FTX bullets do?
Is it IMR4895 or H4895 that is suitable for reduced recoil loads?
Sorry you aren’t a little closer… I have H4895 and Trail Boss on hand.
Both can be cut down to 60% for reduced loads.
I used IMR4895 in the '06

Jester896

Senior Clown
I don't find any published data on their site for IMR4895, only the 2 I mentioned.
I did find this in opinions from other loaders. I like to lean toward mfg info tho.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I don't find any published data on their site for IMR4895, only the 2 I mentioned.
I did find this in opinions from other loaders. I like to lean toward mfg info tho.
This forum would be missing a lot of helpful and accurate posts if we didnt have other loaders experiences and only relied on manufacturers data.

Originally H4895 was just Military Surplus IMR4895 repackaged and renamed. Bruce Hodgdon used to buy it by the train car full. It wasn't until the surplus ran out that Hodgdon started manufacturing their own and then when the company was sold to the Australian outfit, they started to make the slightly slower burning H4895. Since then (2003) Hodgdon bought out IMR and others.
Hodgdon used to list reduced powder loads for both pre 2017.
I have to find my older Hodgdon and IMR loading pamphlets.

Last edited:

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
https://www.handloadermagazine.com/reduced-rifle-loads

"A few handloaders assumed this meant IMR-4895 wasn’t safe with loads reduced to 60 percent of maximum, so I called Ron Reiber at Hodgdon. He explained that they’d gotten slightly more consistent results with H-4895 in reduced loads, but IMR-4895 also worked with the 60 percent of maximum rule. This has been my experience since first using IMR-4895 in the late 1970s, when the 60 percent suggestion still appeared in various publications."

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Loaders need to remember that H4895 and IMR4895 are not interchangeable.
If you cannot find a normal load listed for the cartridge with say IMR4895 do not substitute H4895 in its place or vice-versa. Same goes for reduced loads. If a manual lists one powder but not the other, don't cut the one not listed by 40% and use it in place of the one listed.

Jester896

Senior Clown
This is a quote from the thread I posted the link for from Shooters Forum from '03:

"Ok, I spoke to Hodgdon today via telephone. My question to them was: "can I use the reduced load data from H 4895 and apply it to IMR 4895?". The tech guy at Hodgdon told me that the two powders are not interchangeable and the IMR should not be reduced."

just trying to help everyone stay safe...many things have changed over the years

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Took my 10-year-old to the range today and he went through half a box of 3030 Remington managed recoil loads. He’s finally excited enough and confident to take his first year this year… Or at least try to. We need to work on marksmanship for me to let him shoot, but he is grouping 4” at 25 yards and getting better. These loads shoot pretty well and the recoil is manageable but I’d like to hand load some for him. Right now I only have CFE223 and WIN760. Does anyone have a recipe for a reduced recoil 3030 load for a lever gun? Hodgdon has a 60% formula using their 4895 but I can only find that online for very expensive prices. I’m currently loading for 243 and 308 and would love to find a powder they could do both 3030 and one of these other calibers. Right now I intend to buy the Hornady FTX 160 grain bullets for him to practice and to hunt with. I’d like to see him shoot about another 40 rounds on paper before I take him out for the big day. I usually hunt in the thick so shots at 40 yards are pretty common and I think the reduced recoil load with this bullet should do fine. If all else fails I’ve got four boxes of factory hunting loads.
Many modern load manuals have a section for Single Shot Pistol recipes. They are often comparable to reduced recoil rifle loads.
I would recommend sticking to the powders listed that are of the slowest burn rates for use in rifle barrels.
I looked in the Speer #15 Manual and found these.
20210816_155720.jpg20210816_155724.jpg20210816_155733.jpg

Latest posts