Contenders anyone?

BDD

I had a Contender in .44 , with the molded grips it felt like my thumb was splitting off.
I shoot a S&W 629 in 6 inch, with a 2X Leopold now.

A very well respected gun smith set it up for me, he talked me out of a 4X scope, said
2X was the best for hunting. He also talked me into shooting nothing but Hornady 180 grain.
He said the 180 will open up much better then just pushing a hole thru like the 240’s do.

I’ve killed deer out to at least 80 yards off hand. Also, once sited in with 180”s , a 240
Will hit about 12 inches high at about 20 yards.

deast1988

I read 2.5in high at 25yds gets you around a 70yd zero with a .44.

My model 29 has a 8 3/8th barrel, and a 2x scope. I’ve shot it rested at 75yds and my zero was true. With the 2.5in high at 25.

I went with 240gr xtps and deer don’t like them at all.

TCguy

I've killed more animals with my 44 mags than anything else. I have several Dan Wessons, Freedom Arms and Contenders. I've never reloaded and have always used Buffalo Bore Deer Grenades. Longest shot has been 138 yds walked Bout 10 yds and fell over !

Attachments

• 8796.jpeg
    8796.jpeg
    249.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 20161028_184413.jpg
    20161028_184413.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 20221011_214739.jpg
    20221011_214739.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 41

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
I've killed more animals with my 44 mags than anything else. I have several Dan Wessons, Freedom Arms and Contenders. I've never reloaded and have always used Buffalo Bore Deer Grenades. Longest shot has been 138 yds walked Bout 10 yds and fell over !
TC, congratulations… what scope do you have on your buck killing pistol? Also that ammo scabbard on your pistol… can you tell us about it?
Thank you

specialk

somewhere buried in this forum is a thread with my .41mag Super 14'' T/C w/ a 1.5-4 luepold scope.....my son and i have both killed deer with it.....love it!!

FVRago

Here is my set up. I currently have the 44 mag barrel on. The other barrels are 357, 22lr, and 223. The 223 is the most fun. I found that with the 10" barrel I am getting surprisingly great groups from Win. White Box 240 gr 44 mag.

Attachments

• IMG_4329.JPG
    IMG_4329.JPG
    577.9 KB · Views: 1

kengland

For you guys worried about recoil on those heavy rounds I would add a muzzle break system. I have 14 inch barrels chambered in 22LR, 7x30 waters and 309 JDJ. Before the 309 was Magna Ported it was intolerable to shoot. I later had the 7x30 done as well. I use the 7x30 in closer ranges because of the scope. The 309 I use inbox stands over fields. Both will shoot as far and as good as you can. I use the 22 for squirrel hunting and on the range for practice. The pic below is a group from the 22 at 100 yards with mixed cheap ammunition.IMG_TCC22jpg.jpg

frankwright

Dang I have been trying. I put this together late last season and it is still a virgin.
I sighted it in at 63 yards, the longest I had available, handloaded 240 XTP's.
I have been using it in this spot with my Millennium tree seat, 3 ridges come together leading into a bottom and swamp, big green food plot about 90 yards behind me.. Getting lots of deer pictures but we have not come together yet.
I also have a ground blind just across the creek from a food plot and feeder and get lots of pictures there too but no deer when I am there. I am thinking Irish Spring might not be a good cover scent soap.

I also do not like the look of the rubber grips but boy do they make it more comfortable, I have warm reloads and I think it is fun to shoot.

Attachments

• Contender .44 mag knees.jpg
    Contender .44 mag knees.jpg
    498 KB · Views: 19

TCguy

Har
TC, congratulations… what scope do you have on your buck killing pistol? Also that ammo scabbard on your pistol… can you tell us about it?
Thank you
Harry, the scope is a Leupold 2.5-8x32. The ammo holder is a Uncle Mike's wrist band.

rosewood

You must have one identical
Yep, or at least enough parts to make one just like that. I don't have the stainless scope rings to match though.

Rosewood

rigderunner

Yep, or at least enough parts to make one just like that. I don't have the stainless scope rings to match though.

Rosewood
I just bought this one, can’t wait to shoot a hog or deer.

rosewood

30-30 win in a 16 inch barrel
Those are rare. 16" barrels are worth a mint these days. I have a 16" in 7-30 waters. I keep a stock on mine, handy little carbine. Have the 14" barrel in .223 that is also stainless then a whole host of other blue 10", 12", 14" barrels in other calibers. Be careful, it can be come an addiction quickly.

Whatever you do, never ever consider cutting the 16" barrel down.

Rosewood

rigderunner

Those are rare. 16" barrels are worth a mint these days. I have a 16" in 7-30 waters. I keep a stock on mine, handy little carbine. Have the 14" barrel in .223 that is also stainless then a whole host of other blue 10", 12", 14" barrels in other calibers. Be careful, it can be come an addiction quickly.

Whatever you do, never ever consider cutting the 16" barrel down.

Rosewood
I already want another one

pacecars

Decided to get back into Contenders after a little hiatus. I have an easy open frame coming with Pachmayer gripper grip and forend and a 14” .375 JDJ barrel and a 12” .257 Raptor barrel and all the reloading dies, brass and bullets. I am putting a Bushnell Trophy 2x6 on the Raptor and a Burris 2x7 on the .375 JDJ barrel. I forgot how expensive this stuff gets

Bobby Bigtime

In the late 80's I was interested in a the 375JDJ and made a call to inquire about a barrel. I was visiting with a nice and knowledgeable lady and Larry Kelly came into the office and she put me one the phone with him. He was very personable and advised me that based on what I was looking for he did not recommend it. I will always remember that call.