5rds. .38spl or 8rds .380

Balrog

I think to a large extent we are asking ourselves the wrong question. The differences in stopping power of these two cartridges are generally small, though I would generally favor 38 special as the most potent since it generally will use a heavier bullet.

The most important thing in stopping opponents is getting hits. The real question should be, which are you more accurate with, a 380 auto or a 38 snub revolver. Go with whichever you can get the most hits the fastest.

The second most important thing is that your bullets penetrate deep enough.

I generally shoot a small 380 automatic better than I do a snub nose revolver. There I am generally going to consider myself better armed with a 380 auto for that reason. I also like the fact that an auto is easier to reload, and its easier to carry ammo in a spare mag than a speed loader for a revolver.

I do feel that most 380 hollow points lack adequate penetration. Lightweight bullets designed to expand at low velocity generally do expand but they lose a lot of penetration. I do not want anything that will penetrate less than 12 inches, and I would prefer up to 18 inches. Most 380 hollow points will have difficulty acheiving this goal.

One bullet design that I generally think will do this is the Hornady XTP. It is my hollowpoint of choice in 380. Fiocchi uses the XTP in one line of its 360 ammo, and I actually prefer the Fiocchi loading of this bullet to the Hornady loading because the Fiochhi chronographs a little faster.

If I cant have XTP's in 380, then I am going to stick with FMJ to make sure I get enough penetration.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
I think to a large extent we are asking ourselves the wrong question. The differences in stopping power of these two cartridges are generally small, though I would generally favor 38 special as the most potent since it generally will use a heavier bullet.

The most important thing in stopping opponents is getting hits. The real question should be, which are you more accurate with, a 380 auto or a 38 snub revolver. Go with whichever you can get the most hits the fastest.

This is me. Excellent discussion, and analysis, been a wheel gun man since day one, until I tested a newer Ruger LCP for a family member. I hit better with it than my reliable, j-frame 38-special. It was embarrassing, and enlightening. Followed by ballistics and reliability research out the wazoo. Reality is, in a panic, I'm likely to miss more than hit, so I made the choice for extra bullets, and that I can pocket carry the .380 in the holster, and not print as much if wearing work dress clothing. Reminded of: "Better to have (any type gun) with you, than the .45 in the glovebox".

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
My opinion: My life is too important to trust to pistol calibers that start with a "3." Unless it's a .357 magnum or .357 Sig.

Brother David

The second most important thing is that your bullets penetrate deep enough.

I generally shoot a small 380 automatic better than I do a snub nose revolver. There I am generally going to consider myself better armed with a 380 auto for that reason. I also like the fact that an auto is easier to reload, and its easier to carry ammo in a spare mag than a speed loader for a revolver.

I do feel that most 380 hollow points lack adequate penetration. Lightweight bullets designed to expand at low velocity generally do expand but they lose a lot of penetration. I do not want anything that will penetrate less than 12 inches, and I would prefer up to 18 inches. Most 380 hollow points will have difficulty acheiving this goal.

One bullet design that I generally think will do this is the Hornady XTP. It is my hollowpoint of choice in 380. Fiocchi uses the XTP in one line of its 360 ammo, and I actually prefer the Fiocchi loading of this bullet to the Hornady loading because the Fiochhi chronographs a little faster.

If I cant have XTP's in 380, then I am going to stick with FMJ to make sure I get enough penetration.

I personally carry the Arx style bullet , but I have shot the honeybadger ammo from Black hills and was very impressed . They penetrate well and have impressive hydraulic shock ( wound channel ) .

Joe EC

I have always heard the .380 referred to as either: "the caliber that just can't" or as "the caliber that almost can".
Either way I still wouldn't carry a .38 special.
.45ACP, second shots are a waste of my time. Never leave home without it.

Balrog

I have always heard the .380 referred to as either: "the caliber that just can't" or as "the caliber that almost can".
Either way I still wouldn't carry a .38 special.
.45ACP, second shots are a waste of my time. Never leave home without it.

Its a big commitment to always carry a 45. If you do that, great, but most people are not going to.