7.62x39 for bears?

chrislibby88

Looking into a 7.62x39 bolt gun for hunting deer/hogs/ possibly bear at close ranges. Just wondering if you guys think it’s an appropriate cartridge. Ballistics are very close to 30-30, which I would assume to work fine on bears. I have a .308 bolt gun that I normally hunt with, but it’s pushing 11 lbs loaded with a scope and I would rather carry something lighter into the mountains.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have killed a bunch of deer and hogs with the 7.62x39. I built an AR chambered in that round that is my go-to woods and mountain gun nowadays. I haven't shot a bear with it, but if it performs well on deer and hogs, it'll put down a bear just fine. It has more energy than the .44 mag carbines that are commonly used for bear hunting around here.

chrislibby88

An 11lb .308? Do you have a rocket launcher attached to it?
Tikka T3 tactical .308. Kinda heavy contour 20in barrel, 10 rd box mag, railed reciviever, high Leupold steel rings, and a big 2.5-10x56mm scope, and a SiCo muzzle break on the end, (and hopefully my suppressor in the next few months) It all adds up to a heavy rifle. Shoots like a dream, and is great for hunting over ag land in middle GA, but isn’t very exciting to carry in hill country.

chrislibby88

I hunted with a Ruger Ranch rifle in 7.62x39 for several years and it did a fine job on deer..I did use SP ammo...
That’s what I’m looking at actually. A .30 cal bolt gun with a 16 inch barrel. They are shorter than 30-30s and a good bit lighter too.

Gator89

I added a CZ 527 Carbine in 7.62x39 that I am quite infatuated with, see my avatar picture.

I would not trade my CZ for a 30 30, unless it belonged to John Wayne or Chuck Connors.

Gator89

That’s what I’m looking at actually. A .30 cal bolt gun with a 16 inch barrel. They are shorter than 30-30s and a good bit lighter too.

I believe the Ruger Ranch rifle is a version of the Mini 14/30, the bolt guns are Ruger Americans.

Joe Brandon

Tikka T3 tactical .308. Kinda heavy contour 20in barrel, 10 rd box mag, railed reciviever, high Leupold steel rings, and a big 2.5-10x56mm scope, and a SiCo muzzle break on the end, (and hopefully my suppressor in the next few months) It all adds up to a heavy rifle. Shoots like a dream, and is great for hunting over ag land in middle GA, but isn’t very exciting to carry in hill country.
Now that sounds like a FUN setup!!!!! I love the ease in which Tikkas chamber!!!

chrislibby88

Now that sounds like a FUN setup!!!!! I love the ease in which Tikkas chamber!!!
Dude I love this gun. I would get one of Tikkas lighter offerings, but the lighter contours don’t have enough meat to thread at the muzzle and I’m not sure I wanna get one cut down and threaded. Might be a project for next year.

strothershwacker

7.62x39 is a sufficient round fer deer, bear and hog. I question the .223? They make Core-lokts far em now. What y'all think? Big nuff? Since where talkin tactical here.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The Hornady SSTs have been a good performer on deer for me with the 7.62x39.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
7.62x39 is a sufficient round fer deer, bear and hog. I question the .223? They make Core-lokts far em now. What y'all think? Big nuff? Since where talkin tactical here.
Could you kill all of the above with a .223?

Sure.

Would I hunt big game with mine if I have other options?

No.

GAbullHunter

I almost never hunt with anything other then my SKS.. Love it.. It does get a bit heavy at times but also works as a good push up pole when climbing when needed. I dont have to worry if I drop it or if a tree limb smacks it. ( I don't do any this on purpose) but you get my thought.. It will kill whatever you shoot with it if you aim at it an shoot in a kill zone as with any basic gun. These guns are easy to pack away if you had the need to do so. I use a good sling an do a cross body carry when I am packing a load an climbing. Ive shot this gun my whole life an hope to continue using it. 7.62x39 sks is a pretty good gun.. I like the irons on it but also the scope comes in good when you got a gun that can make those long range shots like a SKS can.