7mm mag loading help!

Jester896

Senior Clown
isn't that from cold? I haven't had an issues with IMR4350 that I have had with W760 at 90*. Went from a fine load in the 70* range to hard to lift the bolt and craters in 90*+

was it Remington primers?

furtaker

I've shot some very good groups with IMR 4350. It's a good powder but I'm not sure about the temp sensitivity. I've always wanted to try RL-22 but I've read that it's very temp sensitive so I've stayed away.

@Jester896, I think Winchester uses 760 in many of their factory loads.

Ray357

AWOL
isn't that from cold? I haven't had an issues with IMR4350 that I have had with W760 at 90*. Went from a fine load in the 70* range to hard to lift the bolt and craters in 90*+

was it Remington primers?
Yep. Cold causes it. That's why I said it didn't happen in South Ga.
I have had 4350 blow primers in August on a load that was cooked up and safe in January.
As to 760, I have a love hate relationship with it. I love how it meters, but hate everything else about it. If you haven't tried Staball 6.5, it's awesome in appropriate Cartridges. It has my 270 Win flat screaming. It's temp insensitive and Copper dissolving.

280 Man

Banned
I have always found that when I use RL-22, IMR 7828, H414, and other reported temp sensitive powder that when I have powder charges that are in the mid to high 90 percent of case capacity with heavier for caliber bullets that I have very little instability and whatever instability there is it amounts to nothing at the ranges I shoot deer, which is out to 160 yds. YMMV

Ray357

AWOL
Compression definitely mitigates the cold weather side of temp sensitivity to a great extent. In the past, before ideal powders were available, I have even used filler to compress loads.
I have always found that when I use RL-22, IMR 7828, H414, and other reported temp sensitive powder that when I have powder charges that are in the mid to high 90 percent of case capacity with heavier for caliber bullets that I have very little instability and whatever instability there is it amounts to nothing at the ranges I shoot deer, which is out to 160 yds. YMMV

Jester896

Senior Clown
If you haven't tried Staball 6.5, it's awesome in appropriate Cartridges.

I think I can get my hands on some. One guy that shoots with us sometimes was ranting about it...got some and didn't get the results he was looking for in his CM. Might can snag that from him.

We started running W760 when we weren't able to get H4350 in our .260s. It really did fine for us until it got close to 90*. Then no telling where it was going to hit. In mine I was running 43gr with 142SMK Moly COAL 2.850 in LC cases I necked down.

Ray357

AWOL
I think I can get my hands on some. One guy that shoots with us sometimes was ranting about it...got some and didn't get the results he was looking for in his CM. Might can snag that from him.

We started running W760 when we weren't able to get H4350 in our .260s. It really did fine for us until it got close to 90*. Then no telling where it was going to hit. In mine I was running 43gr with 142SMK Moly COAL 2.850 in LC cases I necked down.
I bought Staball for my Creedmoor, but have not loaded anything for it. It has become my go to 270win powder. It chronos about 50 fps over published in my 24" mod 70. In my 26 inch Shilen barrel it's well over 200 fps over published.

Darkhorse

I've never considered IMR 4350 to be overly temperature sensitive. Since I bought it new my 300WM has had over 1,000 rounds fired downrange. All my accuracy testing has been in the hot summer months. The rifle was sighted in when multiple loads achieved the accuracy and velocity I was looking for, this was in the summer months.
First reference, NW Colorado elev. 10,000 ft. Same sight in. 5X5 Bull elk 400+ yards, Hornady 180 grain spire point. I had a rock solid rest and took one shot through front shoulders. Bull was DRT and never took another step.
Whitetail buck 165 lbs. field dressed, 161 5/8 B&C score. Below freezing. Rifle was sighted in at 1.6 high @ 100 yards. Buck presented me a shot at 400 plus yards, I had a rock solid rest and took one shot which hit rt.frt. chest. Deer ran app. 100 yards.
I made a couple more 300+ yard shots with that rifle. Rifle always hits to point of aim. It has never given me reason to think IMR 4350 was temperature sensitive.
I think reports of IMR 4350's temp. instability to be more rumor than fact.