A Bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work.

Nastytater

Banned
With the title being said,I'd like to say that if that particular person was in front of me right now,I'd kick them right in the rump and call em a lier. What turned out to be a great day for fishing was slowly but surely turning into a nightmare. I bet Dad would have been happy this morning still working on the trailor lights in the driveway. Or trying to figure out how to get the Carbs synranized on the 65 Horse antique Evenrude that is attached to our rif-raf of a boat.

Started off the day outside getting things together for our trip before the sun came up and the wind was blowing a slight breeze,and dad stated "I hope that it doesn't do this long." I replied that our local weather man says it's only suppose to blow about 6 mph and it's suppose to end by middle morning. (So we can count the local weather man into the list of whose rumps I wanna Kick.)

As we pulled out of the driveway,Dad says "I feel like we are forgetten something",little did we know THAT something was Us staying home. We stopped at a gas station to get a bag of ice,and a biscuit,and wouldn't you know it. The local rednecks were there at 5:30 in the morning buying their paychecks worth of Lottery tickets. Anyways,lets face forward to the lake.

Get to the lake and unload the boat into the water and everything looks awesome. Overcast skies,slight breeze,a chill in the air. We are working our way across the lake and the motor hits something. Before Dad can throw the motor into nuetral,it hits something again and the motor dies. Scared that we just sheered the prop off,I try to amuse my dad telling him that it was a huge bass that we ran into. We need to just fish here....LOL...We get out our poles and begin fishing in a lake where sometime not long ago use to be a forest aparently. There were stumps everywhere and when our lures wasn't finding each and every stump,the same lures were trying to attack the squirrels and pester the seagulls nests. After a couple small fish,yes we actually caught something. Not much but it was a fish. I think anyways,unless the boat in front of us lost their minnow bucket. FINALLY,I hooked into something that I had no bearing on what too make of it,trying to break my rod,tearing through the water trying to turn the boat over as I try to hold on to my rod. And reel with my toes. Wasn't a chance of me turning loose with both hands the way that sucker was pulling. Finally get it up and it's a large Gar fish. Dad grabs the dip net,and we find out that the words "Dip him up" are also translated into Gar language as "Get out of Dodge." That big ole fish took off like a submarine and wasn't slowing down for nothing,atleast anytime soon. After about 15 minutes of fighting this fish with every skill that I have learned over the years,I finally slow him down enough for Dad to get the net in front of him,when we find out that our Net isn't big enough. Half way in the net,I guess the fish decided to help us out and give himself up. He gave a quick flop and drove his long nose through the dry rotted fishing net. The it took both me and Dad together to pull him over in the boat. Wore out and exhausted,I just sat back and almost fell into the lake from where I was on the edge of my seat...LOL

Oh yea,remember when I said that the winds were only suppose to be 6 mph and stopping at half morning. NOPE! Dad was complaining about the winds all morning trying to guide rif raf boat around with a trolling motor that aparently has been bent before,and straightened,and bent again,and straightened. Not an easy task. Round lunch time,we finally find a nice secluded cove where the wind is off of us. Sit down and eat lunch without a problem. But when we get ready to start fishing again,the wind picks back up and blows us slap out of the cove. We decide that we are going to work our way across a small area of the lake to the other bank,and cruise down it with the wind. Which half way across we find yet another stump that completely bends the shaft on the trolling motor like a pretzel. Tired and disgusted,Dad and I come to a conclusion it's time to load the boat and head home. With wind blisters on our face,we head across the lake back towards the landing.

If you look,you'll notice this isn't the conclusion of the story yet. I bet we found every stump between that lake filled forest and the landing with the prop on our Antique 65 horse Evenrude. The only good thing that I hope,is we sheered the stumps off,were nobody else has em too worry about. Reaching the dock,I go to step off the boat and find myself doing a split and needing immidiate help from either a doctor or the good lord,or a life guard. Some how I made it onto the dock without needing mouth to mouth though. Back the trailor down into the water and the running board decides it wants to loose the screws that are holding it on. While I try to find some screws or duct tape to hold them on atleast until we get the boat loaded,I hear dad out in the lake cursing as he attempts to start the motor,That or fighting with more forest stumps.

Conclusion finally. We finally load the boat after I found a couple 1/8" screws that I had to screw in with a wore out pair of channel locks cause we left all our tools at home. Get the boat up to the far end of the parking lot to keep from anyone asking us if we caught anything,and the first thing that happens is someone pulls up and asks,"Had any luck?"...Dads response told the whole story. "Yea,All %&$#$%@ BAD!" They must have been watching us try to load the boat,cause they just pulled away. I was going to ask if they minded given me a ride home,because I knew what dads ride home was going to be like. Anyways ya'll,I hope ya'll enjoyed the laughter out of this better than we enjoyed our trip,Cause Dad has already made it clear,that we will NEVER put HIS boat back in that lake...LOL And after today,if he does decide to do so,I won't be the one with him.

Now were is that weather man and the person that said "A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work."?