A bird was eaten by something

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Found this in my little field today. I think it’s what’s left of a woodpecker? We have a healthy Hawk and Owl population, I’d imagine one of them is guilty.371421A3-B2A2-4F94-AC1C-3E0EF107FD08.jpegDF4823F5-9225-4958-95BC-FC8D9B7C1A37.jpeg65A25769-0D80-4276-A60C-3F3D77A758B1.jpeg

Anvil Head

Probably a little Sharpshin or falcon. Bigger hawks usually won't bother with the smaller birds. I have both around here keeping the robin population down. They are more efficient than the neighbor's cat. A real hoot to watch in action as well - Maverick's got nothing on them.

Redbow

I would like to have a good mess of Robins to eat they are good. Yeah, Hawks around our area take their share of Doves, Redbirds and other species of our feathered friends.

jbogg

My guess would be a small Hawk as well. But speaking of raptors, I had the privilege to see my first Great Horned Owl this past fall during opening week of bow season. Every few years I would see a Barred Owl or Screech Owl, but this was my first Great Horned Owl. Completely silent as it lit on a branch at eye level just 20 yds away. Impressive critter.
7D3D77B6-A85C-46D6-88DF-E5279BBF35D4.png

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
It was a flicker. Sharpshin or Cooper`s hawk is probably the last thing it saw.
We do have some smaller hawks around, I’m not great at identifying them by sight and plumage. Always neat to hear the squirrels get upset when one flies through.
Great horned owl is still my favorite bird to hear and see by far. We have a couple that get to talking most every night at the house.

Anvil Head

My guess would be a small Hawk as well. But speaking of raptors, I had the privilege to see my first Great Horned Owl this past fall during opening week of bow season. Every few years I would see a Barred Owl or Screech Owl, but this was my first Great Horned Owl. Completely silent as it lit on a branch at eye level just 20 yds away. Impressive critter.
View attachment 1214470
One of the few serious "skunkers" in nature. They also do pretty good on feral cats. They are seriously impressive if you get a chance to see one make a kill. All done with their feet.

Toliver

As hunters, we get to see a lot of animals behaving naturally that most people don't get to see. One of the coolest things I have ever experienced was a hawk landing on a limb that was level with me and about 10 feet away. I had my breakfast with me, Strawberry unfrosted poptarts (don't judge me) and he brought his breakfast, an unfrosted chipmunk.

Resica

I ran into a perched Saw-Whet owl several years ago while spring turkey hunting. What a cool little bird. Only one I've ever seen.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, that was a yallerhammer, aka flicker. Those feathers tie some great trout flies, in theory. :)

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I ran into a perched Saw-Whet owl several years ago while spring turkey hunting. What a cool little bird. Only one I've ever seen.
We have them down here, but mostly above 5,000' elevation. They sound funny calling.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Indeed I am. We don't even have 5,000 feet.
I think we got 17 peaks over 6,000 in my county. Highest average elevation of any county east of the Rockies.

Resica

I think we got 17 peaks over 6,000 in my county. Highest average elevation of any county east of the Rockies.
I don't think we have anything over 3,500. High mts. south of us and high mtns. north of us. All of our mtns. have eroded apparently.

Latest posts