A bird was eaten by something

Anvil Head

I call Owls up at night when yote hunting. They seem to respond to Eastern Cotton Tail in distress the best. Hawks come to it during the day as well.
Yeah buddy! I was trying to squeak up a yote pre dawn once and a Great Horned swooped in for a way too close a look. That's one big ol' bird in the faint light.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Shrikes will tackle birds their size, their amazing predators.

sleepr71

One of the few serious "skunkers" in nature. They also do pretty good on feral cats. They are seriously impressive if you get a chance to see one make a kill. All done with their feet.

Yep. I am almost certain that a GHO got one of our outside Cats. We have a swamp nearby & a pair of GHO’s nest down there & hunt our Hayfields,etc. One of the GHO’s started hanging out around our yard last Summer hunting something under our security light. Bugs?Mice? Don’t know. All I know is when the Owl showed up…our cat disappeared within a week. The Cat was only about a year old & still not fully aware of ALL the predators around;). He thought that if he stayed near the house & vehicles..he was safe(from 4-legged predators).

trout maharishi

Just a guess, but there is a reason people put fake owls out to try to scare off woodpeckers. Woodpeckers can be rough on siding and facia boards. I've seen the remains of flickers 3 or 4 times like this pile early in the morning when I was going fishing. I always keep a few of the flight feathers for flies.

Last edited: