A Blessed Easter Evening on Cohutta WMA

whitetailfreak

After Easter lunch, I decided to hit a spot on Cohutta that I haven't been in since killing a good buck in there back in Dec. Last fall I saw a good many turkeys in this area, and one morning in early December had a gobbler turning himself inside out. I struck and worked this bird with a new diaphragm call by Antnye which is appropriately called the "Conasauga Killer". This 2 year old gobbled all the way to the gun. 17 pounds/ 9.5"Beard/ 1" Spurs. I continue to be very blessed.

Attachments

• IMG_20160327_173742053.jpg
    IMG_20160327_173742053.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 1,038
  • IMG_20160327_180454005.jpg
    IMG_20160327_180454005.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 1,032

Killer Kyle

Awesome work! I went out on Chattahoochee today after lunch looking for an afternoon mtn bird, but struck out. How did you find the bird? I didn't call once today. Just walked, looked, and listened. Great mountain bird man. They're the best!!

mose

Nice work and beautiful backdrop on those pics

herb mcclure

Blessed Easter Afternoon hunt.

Those are my kind of turkey woods; just maker me homesick not to be able, to be out there.
herb mcclure

whitetailfreak

Awesome work! I went out on Chattahoochee today after lunch looking for an afternoon mtn bird, but struck out. How did you find the bird? I didn't call once today. Just walked, looked, and listened. Great mountain bird man. They're the best!!

Prospecting for late evening birds is the most aggressive I ever get with my calling. Loud aggressive yelps and cuts every 50 yds or so. With that being said, I don't do this in my primary areas, but mostly new areas I have found in the fall or winter that has good sign or eye appeal. Many times these areas will become a primary spot after some success.

sman

Congrats !

Steve Roberts

Congrats!!! Nothing like hunting turkey's in the mountains!!!!

antnye

Congrats on a fine mountain bird Kris! Great pic!

Timber1

BANNED
Nice one Kris. Had a close encounter with a strutter up there opening morning. I can still see his glowing white head looking at me thru a tree fork at 12 yards. He lives to be hunted another day.
Good bird.

Last edited:
Congrads kris. Sounds like sunrise service is the way to go on easter. Its always a trophy when its in the cohuttas. an killer with a call made here. I had em fire up last 2 days with only calls from me and anthony but hens, church, and work has kept them alive for another day. Good job

Latest posts