A Day of Brisket n Brush Cuttin'.

Triple C

Had to wait till the weekend to do a July 4th cook. Turned out to be worth it. The Mrs n I left the burbs bout noon on Friday and arrived at our little hang out in Oglethorpe County. Stopped at Striplings heading into Watkinsville and picked up a 7 lb brisket for a stab at my 1st brisket cook (trying to raise my culinary skills here). Google and You Tubed a bunch of brisket recipes and settled on one that sounded good - season with rub and marinade over night wrapped in saran wrap then low and slow on the smoker. Sounded easy enuf.

Asked the gentlemen behind the counter to recommend a brisket rub and he pointed me to Striplings private label beef seasoning. Rubbed that baby down and wrapped it tightly in saran wrap for a good nights sleep.
brisket marinading.jpg

Woke up bout 4:15 and made a pot of coffee. Bout 4:45 I headed down to the pavilion with brisket in tow.
bbq pavillion.jpg

By the way...brisket is one expensive piece of meat! Sheez!!! Coulda cooked 7 or 8 butts for the price of that 7 lber. Since I had all day for the cook and the crew wouldn't be down till mid afternoon I went for the really slow cook during the smoking phase. Set the Traeger at 180 but mine runs 15 degrees or so hotter than the setting. It ran between 190 and 210 for hours.
traeger temp.jpg

With hours to kill before wrapping the brisket, I decided to try out a new tool I recently purchased - Oregon battery-powered pole saw. Gotta lot of limb creep on my interior roads and decided I wanted a power pole saw to get the job done. After purchasing a few lithium batter power tools the last few years and liking them a lot, I decided on a battery pole saw. Went with the Oregon after reading a lot of reviews. Mercy me...thing turned out to be a beast of a machine!
pole saw.jpg

Attacked one of the interior roads for bout 45 minutes of pretty much constant sawing and still had 2 bars left on the battery. I was ready for a break.
after sawing.jpg

Headed back up to the cabin to wipe the sweat n check on the brisket and popped the top on a couple or 3 Miller Lites. Mercy...they went down good. Opened up the lid at 11:45 and this sucker was looking good!
brisket 1145.jpg

Wrapped that baby in foil and threw a thermometer in it. And...forgot to mention that I threw on a rack of baby backs just in case the brisket was a fail.
ribs.jpg

Pulled the brisket when it hit 195 and left it wrapped in foil then wrapped that in an old towel and set it on the table. Bout that time, Buford Dawg and a buddy of his that hunts Oglethorpe County dropped by for a visit. Always nice to meet a fellow Woody's forum guy.

Bout 5;00 it was time to unveil that brisket. Folks...maybe I got lucky or maybe I got an incredibly tender brisket. This thing was off the charts tender. Sliced great in nice 1/8 inch slices and would easily pull apart with your fingers. Gonna give myself a pat on the back on this baby.
brisket sliced.jpg

Feel like I could do ribs in my sleep now. And...never tire of them. These turned out pretty durn good. Let these go naked for 5 hrs at same temp as brisket...bumping between 190 and 210. Wrapped in foil and went for another hour. Then put em back on the grill naked and sauced them a couple of times during the last hr of cook. Turned up temp to 250 for last hr to tighten up the mopping sauce.
IMG_0453.jpg

Went for sandwiches for the brisket with Masterpiece que sauce. Plus a few sides thrown in for good measure. All in all...a pretty good weekend!
plated.jpg

GA1dad

Wow!!! I wish my first brisket turned out that good!! Looks great!!

naildrvr

You sure that's your 1st brisket??? That looks amazing and the sides just top it off. The ribs look awesome as well.(y)

Dub

Home run on the brisket !!!

Two things that I take my time on....ribs 'n brisket. I like how you did those temps.

Those ribs look perfect, too.

I'm doing a batch of ribs tomorrow as well....wish I had a brisket to go along with it. :)

Duff

Dad gem!!!

Triple C

Thanks guys! As Dub says...Seems low and slow is the ticket, particularly on brisket. Pellet grills are the ticket on really long cooks. Just fill the hopper up with your favorite pellet...set the temp and forget it. My particular grill set at 180 bounces between 190 and 210 throughout the cook. I was honestly surprised at how tender it was. Perhaps letting it rest for a couple hours wrapped in foil and a towel helped on the tenderness. It was still hot when I sliced it.

jwillban

Had to wait till the weekend to do a July 4th cook. Turned out to be worth it. The Mrs n I left the burbs bout noon on Friday and arrived at our little hang out in Oglethorpe County. Stopped at Striplings heading into Watkinsville and picked up a 7 lb brisket for a stab at my 1st brisket cook (trying to raise my culinary skills here). Google and You Tubed a bunch of brisket recipes and settled on one that sounded good - season with rub and marinade over night wrapped in saran wrap then low and slow on the smoker. Sounded easy enuf.

Asked the gentlemen behind the counter to recommend a brisket rub and he pointed me to Striplings private label beef seasoning. Rubbed that baby down and wrapped it tightly in saran wrap for a good nights sleep.
View attachment 935243

Woke up bout 4:15 and made a pot of coffee. Bout 4:45 I headed down to the pavilion with brisket in tow.
View attachment 935244

By the way...brisket is one expensive piece of meat! Sheez!!! Coulda cooked 7 or 8 butts for the price of that 7 lber. Since I had all day for the cook and the crew wouldn't be down till mid afternoon I went for the really slow cook during the smoking phase. Set the Traeger at 180 but mine runs 15 degrees or so hotter than the setting. It ran between 190 and 210 for hours.
View attachment 935245

With hours to kill before wrapping the brisket, I decided to try out a new tool I recently purchased - Oregon battery-powered pole saw. Gotta lot of limb creep on my interior roads and decided I wanted a power pole saw to get the job done. After purchasing a few lithium batter power tools the last few years and liking them a lot, I decided on a battery pole saw. Went with the Oregon after reading a lot of reviews. Mercy me...thing turned out to be a beast of a machine!
View attachment 935246

Attacked one of the interior roads for bout 45 minutes of pretty much constant sawing and still had 2 bars left on the battery. I was ready for a break.
View attachment 935247

Headed back up to the cabin to wipe the sweat n check on the brisket and popped the top on a couple or 3 Miller Lites. Mercy...they went down good. Opened up the lid at 11:45 and this sucker was looking good!
View attachment 935249

Wrapped that baby in foil and threw a thermometer in it. And...forgot to mention that I threw on a rack of baby backs just in case the brisket was a fail.
View attachment 935250

Pulled the brisket when it hit 195 and left it wrapped in foil then wrapped that in an old towel and set it on the table. Bout that time, Buford Dawg and a buddy of his that hunts Oglethorpe County dropped by for a visit. Always nice to meet a fellow Woody's forum guy.

Bout 5;00 it was time to unveil that brisket. Folks...maybe I got lucky or maybe I got an incredibly tender brisket. This thing was off the charts tender. Sliced great in nice 1/8 inch slices and would easily pull apart with your fingers. Gonna give myself a pat on the back on this baby.
View attachment 935251

Feel like I could do ribs in my sleep now. And...never tire of them. These turned out pretty durn good. Let these go naked for 5 hrs at same temp as brisket...bumping between 190 and 210. Wrapped in foil and went for another hour. Then put em back on the grill naked and sauced them a couple of times during the last hr of cook. Turned up temp to 250 for last hr to tighten up the mopping sauce.
View attachment 935252

Went for sandwiches for the brisket with Masterpiece que sauce. Plus a few sides thrown in for good measure. All in all...a pretty good weekend!
View attachment 935253
Between the hangout and the brisket, you're living the dream!! Everything looks awesome!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Man, yeah! :clap:

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Outstanding!!!!!!!!!!!! Brisket and ribs look fantastic!!!!!