A first for me

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
I don't even gut them anymore. All headshots drt, throwem in the truck and at the processor before most people could track one down.

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
With that being said I had my first heart last year. It was tender and good but weird too eat it. I always said if you see me eating organs something is bad wrong.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I don't even gut them anymore. All headshots drt, throwem in the truck and at the processor before most people could track one down.
I've never taken a deer to a processor in my life. I actually enjoy the process of breaking down and working up a deer into good meals.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I did that for years. I'm over it, lol
If I ever get over it, I'll quit hunting. Seriously. I didn't pay somebody to shoot my deer, I'm not gonna pay somebody to clean it for me. To me, working up what you kill is the most important part of hunting. You may be different.

TJay

Funny story. I had eaten deer heart on several occaisions and had told my wife I would let her try it next time I got one. So I get us a nice purdy deer heart with no slices or hole in it and I start getting it ready over the sink with my wife watching over my shoulder. So I am removing the heart from the sac and when I squeeze the heart a great big ol' hematoma squirts out of the heart and she starts shaking her head and gagging and I knew she wasn't gonna eat no heart. She's had it since but it took her a while to get over that one.

kayaksteve

I had a guy tell me one time that he can’t even stomach to eat a deer if he guts it or does any processing of his own or even sees it before it’s pre-packaged. I don’t understand it at all.

GregoryB.

My Dogs would fight you for the heart. I slice it thin and they eat it straight from the fire pit grill.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I had a guy tell me one time that he can’t even stomach to eat a deer if he guts it or does any processing of his own or even sees it before it’s pre-packaged. I don’t understand it at all.
That feller needs to take up golf instead of hunting. :)

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

bany

Good recipe. Maybe I’ll start eating them again, been awhile.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Look up Dannielle Pruett from Meateater’s whiskey butter deer heart recipe. It’s really good too.

35 Whelen

Heart is the only organ meat I eat, not a fan of liver or kidney.

Latest posts