A First-timer's String and Cable Swap Thread

Brewskis

Man, I hope things slow down at least a bit by the time the season starts, or I'll be hard pushed to get in a stand. Finally was able to find a few minutes last night to get back to this.

So I had completely forgotten to set my prelean before starting (I think I may go back and add a post to the tuning thread that gives a good final rundown of steps I've been following each time I start tuning from scratch since it's easy to miss a step if you're scanning quickly through the thread).

I decided to reverse what I had done already, and took the 5 twists out of the buss cable and put 3 back into the control cable.

Back at square one, my prelean was way to much this way \ just like it was after installing the new string and cables on the CS34, so I put 5 twists into the right yoke, and got it close to where you'd want it initially. Since the top cam was pretty far ahead again, I put twists into the buss cable again (this time 4 twists) and took 2 out of the control cable. Cam sync looked good at this point with the bottom about 1/8" behind the top.

I tied in my nock set, and checked the draw length. This time, instead of being slightly long, it was slightly short.

I started shooting some bareshafts through paper, and have consistently gotten a bad nock left and low tear. Putting one twist into the left yoke leg and taking one twist out of the right yoke leg helped slightly, but the tear is still ~3/4" nock low and left. Plus, that put a little more prelean into the cam.

IMG_1599.JPG

One factor that may or may not be relevant is that this bow was not previously tuned to shoot the arrows that I'm shooting (longer, heavier and stiffer spine now). Therefore, I'm not sure if the specs I was using before get thrown out the window.

As comfortable as I've gotten with this and thought about experimenting, I recalled this post and decided to 'phone a friend'.

Kris87

Jeremy, did we need to add something here for you to continue?

Brewskis

Hey Kris, yeah, I guess I should have been more clear. I'm not really sure where to go from here to get rid of this nock low and left tear. I didn't want to start twisting and untwisting and mess things up, so decided to stop and ask.
  • Sync is good - top slightly ahead
  • Specs are close to spot-on (DL a hair short and DW 1.5 lb low)
  • Nock point is just a hair higher than level with rest
  • Rest is same height as it was before (don't recall off the top of my head the location of arrow running through Berger hole)
  • Center shot is the same as it was before (just a hair beyond 3/4")
  • Cam prelean has arrow shaft held against top cam passing behind string just above nock point
This bow was never set up/tuned for these arrows, so I'm guessing that may have something to do with it?

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say I should start by raising my nock point, but what do you say? Appreciate any help you can give.

Kris87

I'd go in this order....move the rest to dead up 3/4" centershot. Add one full twist in the upper left yoke, and don't take one out of the right, adding just a bit of lean, and letting the top cam be just a hair more ahead than the bottom. Then re-shoot it. If that doesn't clean up the tear, then move the rest down a bit. I try not to mess with the nocking points and loops unless its way off.

The tear isn't bad. Won't take much to clean it up.

Kris87

Did you have to do anything other than what I mentioned? Those are good tears.

Brewskis

I moved the rest in to 3/4" and added a twist in the left yoke. That got it pretty close. I added one more to the left and that was too much, so I took a half twist out of the right and that was perfect.

As you mentioned, I've got more prelean now, but I'm guessing that's OK based on the bullet holes I'm getting now?

Kris87

yeah, you still don't have too much. just what it needs with that arrow setup. I had a bow that had to have more lean to shoot a 100gr head than a 125gr head. I never could figure out why the arrow was behaving that way....sometimes you just have to give them what they want.

Mavren

Yeah, same here Brewskis. I got my strings in from JBK and have been slowly working at getting mine in tune using your post as reference. The yokes make it WAY easier to tune. My new Spot Hogg sight should be at home waiting for me when I get there so I should be able to paper tune this weekend!

Brewskis

Glad to hear you got your strings, Mavren. I was just wondering how your string change was going. Sounds like things are going smoothly so far.

Brewskis

yeah, you still don't have too much. just what it needs with that arrow setup. I had a bow that had to have more lean to shoot a 100gr head than a 125gr head. I never could figure out why the arrow was behaving that way....sometimes you just have to give them what they want.

BTW, speaking of arrows, last season, I was using Nockturnal H lighted nocks on my arrows.

This year my arrows are longer, heavier, and have a stronger spine. Plus, I moved up to a 125 grain head. I still haven't installed the lighted nocks into my current arrows. Will adding the 11 extra grains to the back of the arrow have any affect on the tune and/or negatively affect my F.O.C. too much?

Kris87

It will change your FOC % around a half a percent, so nothing to worry about. Won't change your tune either. My nockturnals are exactly 1-2 yards low on my sight tape at 60 yards. That's nothing to worry about IMO.

Brewskis

OK, good to know, thanks.

The backup bow is ready. Getting excellent arrow flight outdoors too. Glad testing went quickly in this heat. Was nearly drenched in sweat after five minutes of shooting.

Thanks again for all the help.

Bareshaft and fletched at 20 yards:

IMG_1633.JPG

Fletched and broadhead at 30 yards:

IMG_1637.JPG

New red threads:

IMG_1686.JPG

IMG_1684.JPG

devils12

I posted on the tuning thread as well, I am getting a high left tear. Center shot is set at 3/4" and the sync is off by a little. The bottom is touching before the top. In this scenario, I think I need to add a twist to the left cable...is this correct and do I do it to the cable on the left from the shooter side? I know that is probably a dumb question but I want to be sure on that one. Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

devils12

IFinally figured out how to load images. The four in the middle are the ones in question. The top right is from my bow.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

Kris87

What kind of bow, and what kind of arrow rest are we talking about devil? That's a pretty nasty tear.

devils12

It is a Bear Effect with a whisker biscuit. Shooting a Bloodline 400 @ 29" of carbon and 64 lbs with a 100 gr FP.

Thanks Kris!

Kris87

Well, first get the cam sync right. The bottom shouldn't be touching before the top. Normally when that's the case, it causes a nock low tear. If it is doing that, and you're getting a high tear, then its probably bouncing through the whisker biscuit. I've seen that several times from hybrid cam and single cam bows.

Get the sync right, then set the nock height so that its 1/16-1/8" ABOVE level. Then reshoot it.

devils12

10-4. What is the best way to get the sync right? I have never attempted any of this so please be patient with me.

Latest posts