A Hidden Treasure

olcaptain

A Hidden Treasure

I knew when Jimmy Helms saddled up in the canoe that today was going to be exceptional.

1.jpg

We had already eaten breakfast at the nearby Grits Café and talked a bit but as this retired Georgia Power Icon began to share his heart I knew that Jimmy “heard the music” of Crooked Creek.

2.jpg

He wasn’t in a hurry and he took every turn and sound in that wafted our way. We talked about cabbages and kings with the understanding that “what’s said in the canoe, stays in the canoe.”

4.jpg

3.jpg

Those who know me well know that I would much rather transmit than receive but I tried my best to be a good listener today. I’ll remember a lot of our conversation today, but I will specifically remember when Jimmy described our stretch of Crooked Creek as a “Hidden Treasure.”

6.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

We cruised past Logan’s Lagoon then passed through Hardie’s Circle. Before anchoring at Clyde’s Cove, we also passed through Hickory Pass and under the Natural Bridge. Once we stopped, we fished our way back home drowning a few worms under a float along the way. Although we ended up with a mess of fish our goal wasn’t to fill the boat but to enjoy God’s Creation and some time together.

8.jpg

9.jpg

It was a wonderful morning and once again, Max and I were able to get to know someone even better. It just happens that way when you are willing and wanting to share this “Hidden Treasure” called Crooked Creek.

10.jpg

NugeForPres

A special treasure indeed. One worth much more than the many treasures this world deems valuable. You can't put a price on Godly fellowship, especially when it involves a fish or two!

ThomasCobb123

Horace, do you ever see any cottonmouths or rattlesnakes loafing around the brush when you paddle up that creek?

olcaptain

Horace, do you ever see any cottonmouths or rattlesnakes loafing around the brush when you paddle up that creek?

I've killed two Timber Rattlers here near the dock. I've seen several snakes in the creek but not sure what they were.

ThomasCobb123

I've killed two Timber Rattlers here near the dock. I've seen several snakes in the creek but not sure what they were.
I was just curious. I'm very afraid of the venomous ones and will shotgun them in a heartbeat, but I leave the harmless ones alone to do what nature needs them to do.
It's very easy to mistake a harmless water snake for a cottonmouth. The water snake has a foul temper and will flatten out that head and coil just like a moccasin and he WILL bite too, but isn't venomous.
You gotta' know what's what with those things though. I try to stay a good piece away from all of them.
Although I will pickup and handle a kingsnake...they have a pretty good disposition and don't mind being messed with.
I really enjoy your postings about your "Little Paradise" there on Sinclair. They are a joy to read.(y)

Well Capt, you are a better “transmitter” than most and folks don’t mind listening to what you have to say. I’ve never heard you speak audibly but you can sure communicate with words. Enjoyed it as always and thanks for the trip. BJ

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Thanks for letting us feel like we were almost in the canoe with Yall Captain.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I was fourtunate to work with Mr Jimmy for several years at Wallace Dam. Super guy and I know you had a great day.
Jeff

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Capt, next time you see Jimmy tell him I said howdy. Over 30 years ago I worked with him at GPC when he was down in this part of the country.