A Long-due Confluence of Generations Deep in the Smokies

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Short interview with my grandfather talking about growing up in this valley pre GSMNP.

I enjoyed hearing your grandfather's stories. I perked up when I hea,rd him mention Marion, NC. My grandfather grew up in nearby Nebo, one of 10 children. When he was 14 (born in 1900), his dad said "Jack, one too many mouths to feed here." He went to Savannah where the railroad was hiring and he was hired after he fibbed about his age. He retired 51 years later as senior engineer on the East Coast Champion. When I was a kid, I rode the train with him on his route. Gil

Last edited:

NCMTNHunter

Awesome trip guys. My grandpaw, uncles, older cousins used to camp and fish in there every year. Unfortunatly the trip fell apart after the passing of a couple of my uncles before I was big enough to go. We talk every year about getting the tradition fired back up but haven't been able to pull it together.

NCMTNHunter

I enjoyed hearing your grandfather's stories. I perked up when I hea,rd him mention Marion, NC. My grandfather grew up in nearby Nebo, one of 10 children. When he was 14 (born in 1900), his dad said "Jack, one too many mouths to feed here." He went to Savannah where the railroad was hiring and he was hired after he fibbed about his age. He retired 51 years later as senior engineer on the East Coast Champion. When I was a kid, I rode the train with him on his route. Gil
I don't know if you are a bluegrass fan but you should look up a song called "Through the Window of a Train" by Blue Highway. I think it would hit home.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
"Those who say honeybees are in trouble should go several miles back into the Smokies."

But they live right next to a highway with no flowers or fruit trees for miles
There are plenty here around my house, too. And bajillions around where I work, which is inside city limits.