A loss this morning

After my friend and I finished a pitiful duck hunt this morning we were heading up the highway a short distance to his house when I noticed something odd beside the highway. After checking it out I found a nice gobbler that had been hit by a vehicle. His beard measured 10 15/16" spurs were 1 1/4" and he weighed probably around 18-20 lbs. I would guess. The woods will be a tad less vocal this spring I reckon buuuttt...after pulling in his driveway we found the gobbler's probable destination. Six of his brothers (all mighty nice too) were in a field beside his house only about 150 yds. from where we found him dead. Come on March!!! :cool:

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Not often does a turk get hit...and not often do you find one with almost 11" of beard!

Jim

dbone

Outdoor Cafe Moderator
They don't get hit often , But when they do they hit hard !!

A few years ago a fellow UPS driver was almost killed on the job , while traveling west on hwy 74 between Andrews and Murphy NC , a turkey in flight struck the front windshield of his package car coming through and striking him in the chest he suffered several broken ribs and multiple facial lacerations , So watch out for them birds they're out to get us before we get them :bounce:

Jody Hawk

We had a deputy sheriff hit one with the patrol car a few years ago here in Walton County. It took out the windshield.

blindhog

dbone said:
They don't get hit often , But when they do they hit hard !!

A few years ago a fellow UPS driver was almost killed on the job , while traveling west on hwy 74 between Andrews and Murphy NC , a turkey in flight struck the front windshield of his package car coming through and striking him in the chest he suffered several broken ribs and multiple facial lacerations , So watch out for them birds they're out to get us before we get them :bounce:

Oh No! Kamikazee Gobblers! This is just the start of the war this year!

Watch out....

gabowman

Careful Tom!! They'll cause our turkey population to match our deer population if we arent careful. :( :confused: :eek:

GB

short stop

TOM ---- same thing happend to me about 5 years ago on hwy 16 headin to griffin .was driving a dumptruck at 50-60 mph . Told my friend ''LARRY'' who was riding along ''how this woulda been a great morning to go hammer a gobbler '' Larry replied '' yeah what about that one flying'' ----------- :speechles The GOBBLER flying across the road did a 90 degree turn and flew straight thr the front windshield landinding along with 9 millon pieces of glass on my buddy and me !!!!!!!!!!!!! shock of a lifetime --cheaper to hunt WITH A 12 GAUGE -- window for 95 pete-------in griffin ga--- almost as shocking ------ $250 :speechles SS

Latest posts