Acorn Trees and Fertilzation

Bones

I know there was a thread on fertilizing oak trees but danged if I can find it.
This year for the first time I had acorns falling everywhere on the 35 acres I own. In the past 5 years I don't remember seeing any acorns was it because of the long drought. I need to know what type, when to and how much fertilizer to put around each tree. Will the fertilizer get through all the dead leaves and into the ground? Do I need to try and move the dead leaves aside?

Bones

Ga-Spur

The fertilizer may get to the roots somewhere on it's way to the ocean. I just don't know if it will do much good . Have you seen the dead zone out in the Gulf of Mexico caused by the fertilizer run off in the corn belt around the Mississippi River? Cutting around the hardwoods may do more damage to the root system then the fertilizer will benefit the trees. We put it around the pecan trees and it helps them. We put the fertilizer around the outer edges of the pecan trees. Call your county agent and get some professional thoughts on doing the oak trees.

Last edited:

Jeff Phillips

Bones - As best as I can remember, you put 2 pounds of 10-10-10 or 13-13-13 per inch of trunk diameter, spread evenly throughout the dripline (from the furthest branch to the trunk). And yes, it helps! The acorns will be larger, sweeter, and there will be more of them.

Don't worry about the leaves, the fertilizer will make it into the soil.

Jeff Phillips

Finally, while not proven by research, fertilization of individual trees may help increase acorn production. A complete fertilizer (such as 10-10-10) broadcast underneath mature oaks evenly out to the dripline at the rate of 2 lbs per inch of diameter at breast height (dbh) in the month of March (south) or April (north) may increase acorn production. Individual oaks located around lawns, pastures, croplands, and other fertilized areas have long been noted for heavier, more consistent heavier acorn production, although other factors (such as insects or air circulation around crowns) may be involved.

The above is just 1 paragraph from the article on oaks from Kent's Corner. Go check out the whole article for all you need to know about oaks.