After Further Review

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
Your defense had nothing to do with our missed field goals. Our kicker simply pooped his britches on national tv. :bounce:
Playing Devil's Advocate here, one could argue it was OSU's D that held the Dawgs to long FG attempts instead of allowing TD's. But yes, JackPod did wet the bed on them.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Good analogy from a dawgs point of view. I’ll just say all the dawg fans I talked to at the game and all the ones I know couldn’t believe tUGA pulled it out. I’d give all credit to Bennett. That kid,umm man :bounce:,is something special.

TJay

I agree with Elfii although it didn't feel that way while watching. In the end, both teams had a chance to win it in the last two minutes, both teams had their high pressure do or die moment. Georgia had to score a TD on their last possession or their season was over, and they did it. Ohio state had to get into field goal range and make the field goal or their season was over, and they failed to execute. What a game!

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Playing Devil's Advocate here, one could argue it was OSU's D that held the Dawgs to long FG attempts instead of allowing TD's. But yes, JackPod did wet the bed on them.
Or you could also argue that maybe our receivers ran the wrong route, or simply dropped the pass. So that would be on us. But… :bounce:

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
That was a very evenly played game. Either team could have won it with the slightest change in any number of plays. Both teams made some big plays and some mistakes. It was exciting nearly to the point of excess.

IMO, UGA brought the better team to the field but they did not play their best game. OSU did a pretty good job of holding down the UGA line offense and defense and managed to tire them out pretty well. OSU was also able to exploit what I see as UGA's weakest point, pass defense.

Kirby will try to shore up the line play and the pass defense to make ready for the Toadies. He knows they were watching the game, will be studying the tapes, and they have a quarterback that is cut out of nearly the same cloth as Stroud.

Buckle up. Next Monday might just be another wild ride.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Losing Darnell Washington was also a pivotal point in the game.Ga was effectively moving the ball on the ground before he went out with the injury.
Hush.. you can't use injuries like Bama and Ohio State fans and coaches do.. Only they can do that.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
That is a fair assessment but I still feel overall OSU outplayed the pups. Kirby said it, Bennett couldn't believe they won and said the same. OSU was on the 8 yd line with the chance to go up 42-24 when Harrison got hurt. Even in the live game thread many puo fans said they had seen enough and was goingvto bed etc. I rewatched it as well and felt the same as I do now. It felt like OSU was close to running away with it but just enough bounces kept the puos alive. Thats what great teams do though so hats off. Also you said it was 14-14 but it was 21-7 I thought? Anyway we are just splitting hairs over a great game. Most of you truely thought the pups were way better then OSU and that just wasn't the case. They are 2 great teams with equal talent. The pups have had a great year and should finish it with another natty.

I understand that but we were not outplayed. The momentum shifted back and forth all night long and it is true OSU led for longer but that isn't the measure of who was the better team and every reasonable person knows it.

I get it you want to feel like the score doesn't reflect what happened but it does. I thought the same as everybody else after the live game and thought we had escaped with a win by the hair of our chinny chin chin and we were outplayed.

Watching the replay after the fact knowing the Dawgs won I could watch the game from a clear eyed analysis perspective. What did happen is the Dawgs made some mistakes at key points in the game that OSU capitalized on. At no point were we outplayed except in the 3rd quarter and then we held OSU to only 10 points. Again, the 4th quarter was the tale of the tape and we outscored OSU 18-3. If that is being "outplayed" then I'm a rocket surgeon and I'll take results like that all day long and twice on Sundays. All of the stats say we were the better team. We put up more passing yards on the same number of attempts and we out rushed OSU and most importantly we out scored OSU. That is the measure of who is the better team, smack talk notwithstanding. And as long as we're talking missed field goals, injuries etc., put Jpod's 2 missed FG's on the scoreboard and take away Bennett's INT and what do you have then? If wishes and buts were candy and nuts everybody would have a Merry Christmas.

The Bucks are a heck of a football team. Nobody can take that away from them and they played like champions against us and it's a lick on us for not taking them more seriously and that was the likely cause of our mistakes. OSU pushed us and we screwed up a couple of times but when it mattered we kicked it into overdrive and got the job done. OSU did not.

We made a few key mental mistakes that cost us. Kudos to the Bucks. They made mistakes too, especially in their pass coverages. As it turns out this game was a barn burner foot race between two titans and the faster titan won by a hair and that's the way it ought to be. I hope the result is we grew up some and the big head got deflated and if that's the case an extra hat tip to OSU for making us do that.

The bottom line is we were not outplayed and that is the point of this thread.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Browning Slayer

The bottom line is we were not outplayed and that is the point of this thread.
And if we were outplayed, how did we win?
mens-fanatics-branded-red-georgia-bulldogs-college-football-playoff-2022-peach-bowl-champions-score-t-shirt_pi5275000_altimages_ff_5275210-e3eb9c0f772c678ff364alt5_full.jpg

Browning Slayer

No one outplayed Stetson in the 4th.
Stetson Bennett, for his part, set an individual milestone as well. He actually threw for 190 yards in the fourth quarter, which is now the most by any player in the final quarter of a playoff game.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

K80

There is some talk that UGA was outplayed by OSU and we won by luck because OSU missed the final field goal. I just watched the replay and this is not an accurate assessment of the game. I submit the following:

First Quarter - the score ends up both teams tied at 14. Bennett throws an INT which sets up OSU's 2nd score of the quarter. UGA is not outplayed. Bennet makes a mistake.

Second Quarter - the score ends up 28-24 at half time. OSU scores 14 while UGA scores only 10. One of OSU's scores is set up by an offsides call against UGA giving them a first down. In actuality it was the OSU Fullback who committed a false start. This penalty was not called so instead of 3rd and 7 OSU gets a first down.

Third Quarter - This is OSU's quarter. Day makes the right adjustments and the OSU O line controls the line of scrimmage and gives Stroud time to complete passes. All this said OSU only scores 10 point during the quarter. UGA scores zip so advantage OSU.

Fourth Quarter - the wheels come off for OSU. They only score 3 points to UGA's 18. UGA stops Stroud and the OSU when it has to be stopped. The Dawgs make big plays with a Bennett pass to Smith for a TD, a pass to McConkey for a 2 point conversion and another pass in the end zone to AD Mitchell to put UGA up 42-41 with 56 seconds left on the clock. OSU fails to answer UGA's scoring drive and time expires.

Stats (That are for losers)

Stroud - 23/34 for 348 yds and 4 TD's. Bennett - 23/34 for 398 yards 3 passing TD's and 1 rushing TD, 1 INT

OSU total rushing yards - 119 yds/carry - 3.7 UGA rushing yards - 135 yds/carry - 5.2

The stats show the teams were evenly matched and at no time did either team dominate the other. The first half was basically a draw with OSU having the 4 point advantage on the scoreboard and UGA having the advantage with total offense.

The third quarter belonged to OSU for scoring 10 points and holding UGA to 0. The fourth and deciding quarter of the game UGA scored 18 points to OSU's 3. If you want to say OSU owned Georgia in the Third Quarter, OK. OSU was UGA's slave in the Fourth Quarter.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, Harrison got taken out of the game in the 4th quarter. Washington, who is key to our offense got taken out in the 2nd quarter. More importantly we were playing frosh linebackers in the 4th quarter that had never played a down of varsity football.

Bowers out of bounds and the "orange line". Guess what? A few plays later OSU got the same treatment and guess what? Stroud did not advance the ball to the line of gain.

At no point were the Dawgs out played. They matched scores with OSU throughout the game and when it mattered at the end of the game for the win the Dawgs came through and OSU did not.

I know there's gonna be some homering and Guth and snook are going to try their best to deny what I have posted above. OK. Here's the deal. 42-41 and we were not outplayed.
@elfiii you made one mistake in your analysis. While bennett through an interception, the mistake was by the RB. He had the dB outleveraged to the inside, bennett released the ball to the inside, and just after release the rb broke to the outside.

During the game I found Bennetts reaction to the play confusing, as if the interception was the rbs fault but after watching a film break down of the play with a camera angle from behind the line of scrimmage I now understand his reaction.