Alligator hunting

Christian hughey

Hey guys I am new to alligator hunting and and have a few questions for some that have some experience. I got drawn for zone 4 because I thought I would have permission to hunt a farm pond down there once I pull a tag but now I'm having trouble contacting the owner to get permission again! I am thinking of hunting opening weekend on whatever public land I can get on. I have very minimal equipment. I'm not looking for a huge gator and I'm hoping to snag a 6 foot or so that will be good eating but nothing that will break my rod. Does anyone have any good suggestions on where to start. I hear banks lake,, rays mill, alapaha river all hold em. Anyone have any hands on experience with these areas?? I am using heavy weight rod rated for 60 lb mono and I'm using 80 lb braid? Will this be enough? I don't want to invest hundreds of dollars to get into it. Anyone know a good fair priced guide in the area or just someone that knows the ropes that would like to get out and hunt for a couple evenings and split meat, hide, etc I have a couple different sized boats depending on the situation. just need the equipment to land him.

Dep6

I will be at Banks that weekend trying to take some Gators.

Are you throwing a weighted hook? Does your hook have a metal leader on it ? I started putting metal leader on my hooks after I lost several Gators when the braid I guess, wore through on the Gators body. Hard lessons learned. 80 lb is plenty as long as your rod is heavy enough.