American Joint Vetch question.

Bushhog Bob

Bought 50 lb bag of Joint Vetch and ordered a 50 lb bag of Alysce Clover to plant together. The seed company called and the Alysce Clover did not test good enough for them to sell. Can someone advise me of a seed that I can plant with the American Joint Vetch. Thanks

@Canuck5 . What you thinking here ?
I came across this info:
Good choices for companion plantings include corn, grain sorghum and Egyptian wheat. Deer vetch — Also known as joint vetch, the foliage is highly palatable and withstands heavy grazing pressure from deer. Growing to over 5 feet, it does well in almost any soil type.

Last edited:

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
@Canuck5 . What you thinking here ?
I came across this info:
Good choices for companion plantings include corn, grain sorghum and Egyptian wheat. Deer vetch — Also known as joint vetch, the foliage is highly palatable and withstands heavy grazing pressure from deer. Growing to over 5 feet, it does well in almost any soil type.

Good options above.

https://www.deerassociation.com/american-jointvetch/

I think Alyce Clover would you best bet, but if you can't find another bag of it, some more options

Join vetch.JPG

CarolinaDawg

Bought 50 lb bag of Joint Vetch and ordered a 50 lb bag of Alysce Clover to plant together. The seed company called and the Alysce Clover did not test good enough for them to sell. Can someone advise me of a seed that I can plant with the American Joint Vetch. Thanks
I’m in the same situation Bob. I’m planting Joint Vetch and I can’t find anyone who has Alyce clover seeds in stock. I don’t know if that’s typical for this time of year or not. I’m considering Sorghum and Buckwheat as companion crops.

davel

Guy at the farm store said I could plant hybrid pearl millet with my joint vetch. Will this choke it out or will the heavy deer pressure we have keep it knocked back? And fyi the pearl millet ain't cheap but they have it.

Canuck5

I would think you would be ok ..... just keeping the seeding rate on the low side. I don't have any experience with pearl millet, but I assume it is similar to grain sorghum. Maybe look at the "Dustbuster Combo" and add some cowpeas? Everything is expensive these days.

Attachments

• Warm season seed.JPG
    Warm season seed.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 9

davel

I would think you would be ok ..... just keeping the seeding rate on the low side. I don't have any experience with pearl millet, but I assume it is similar to grain sorghum. Maybe look at the "Dustbuster Combo" and add some cowpeas? Everything is expensive these days.
Thanks Canuck!

mattb78

I would get more jointvetch and plant that at 15lbs -20lbs/acre and maybe cut with some buckwheat depending on price. Pure stands of jointvetch are just fine it doesn't get wiped out like a pea it just keeps growing.

I had same issue years ago I couldn't get the alyceclover so I just did the vetch and it still ended up doing fine. So unless a super high density area I wouldn't worry.

davel

I would get more jointvetch and plant that at 15lbs -20lbs/acre and mix with some buckwheat. You are just looking for anything that will shoot out of the ground and be palatable. Pure stands of jointvetch are just fine it doesn't get wiped out like a pea it just keeps growing.
Thanks

Canuck5

Looks like you need to be very thin with the millet ...... and wait for a lot warmer soil temperatures.

Canuck5

My guess is if they have never tasted them before, then the deer will wait till they flower, then hit them hard. If they have tasted cowpeas before and you have small acreage, then yes, they will get hammered as soon as they get out of the ground. I quite planting them when 5 acres wouldn't keep them happy.