Ammo Choice

davwolff

I've got a Western Field Model 150c bolt action .410 with a fixed choke (not sure how tight) from around 1960. I'd love to take it turkey hunting but am not sure how to pick an ammo load for it. It seems the go to for a .410 nowadays is TSS. However, from what I understand that could be rough on an older barrel. I would love to hear any advice people out there may have.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I've got a Western Field Model 150c bolt action .410 with a fixed choke (not sure how tight) from around 1960. I'd love to take it turkey hunting but am not sure how to pick an ammo load for it. It seems the go to for a .410 nowadays is TSS. However, from what I understand that could be rough on an older barrel. I would love to hear any advice people out there may have.
Shoot it with different shells and see. Give us a report with pics would be nice.
Good luck hunting !

deast1988

I know a fella, took some foxtrot 383 #9.5s strokers and shot 1 with a bolt action mossberg his grandfather had owned no issue. .410 fixed full bolt action

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I shoot TSS out of my .410 O/U, it‘s a 40 yd gun.

ol bob

No problem with the barrel, you just have to fine the shell it likes.

davwolff

Thanks for the tips! I'm not sure I will rush it for this season, but definitely plan on looking in to these options this summer

Hillbilly stalker

Thanks for the tips! I'm not sure I will rush it for this season, but definitely plan on looking in to these options this summer
F.Y.I, a couple years ago I got a hankering to shoot a 3 inch turkey shell (Winchester Supreme) thru my old Winchester SS 37A 12 guage. I’ve kiled a few birds with the 2 3/4 inch shells. When I shot the 3 inch it broke 2 different parts in the shotgun and I had to find 2 different gunsmiths to get it fixed. It’s harder to find parts for. Shells today are much hotter now than when those older guns were made. Your gun may handle it fine, but then again it might not, not just the barrel to be concerned with. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn’t try it again with my shotgun.