An honest confession of heart and soul

StriperAddict

This incredible post by John Lynch is a mirror of my own experience and concerns. Even when I speak of His love and grace I so want for friends to know that there are no expectations of perfection in the landscape of relationship. Being real like that gets the "judge" out of the way. Might even silence the accuser too!
I even try to bring many of my on "warts" and hurts/losses along -- while raptured in Christ's beauty.
What a paradox to navigate this, and be real, gutsy, knowing from the pits He has redeemed His kids!

And in this I must believe there truly is no condemnation - or else I'd go crazy.
1f60f.png

Great love ... indeed, enjoy this refreshment ...
===========================================

One of the risks of vulnerability is that it is hard to get right, so that those you are risking it with you get to see you accurately.

Sometimes on Facebook, with friends we have not yet met, it is easy to look at the pictures and birthday affirmations and presume that we or anyone else has an idealized life. If you give snapshots of your joy you can unwittingly hurt and offend others who are going through difficult seasons. That must happen often with me, because I don't screen well what I put up. I find I almost can't help it. Like standing at the Grand Canyon, it doesn't mean as much if you can't share it with others.
And so, sometimes almost out of selfishness, I do. Almost ad nauseam I imagine for some. But it is an indicator of health for me.

When I am in pain or wounded or offended, I can retreat into isolation. I never want to do that. And so I post. Even in posting weakness or failure, I find we can be idealized. I have discovered, over time, I don't like being idealized in any way. Because eventually I travel and have to meet the folks I've idealized myself to. And I can feel like the real me they meet must be a bit of a disappointment. I look so much better in my pool or on vacation than I do in real life.
1f642.png
Anyway, here is my assessment after nearly a decade of doing this on here. Its worth it. For we must be known. And this way of life in grace must be shared.

And we must give a context for a community to believe that an environment of grace is superior to the alternative. And so we keep risking putting ourselves out there to each other.
I will unwittingly offend some. I try to keep paring down my friends list to those I actually almost know. For there are those who are longing to believe that this life in grace is real and holds up through all of our pain and loss and disappointment.

None of us has an idealized life. I just spilled a weight loss shake onto our simulated leather furniture as I pulled my computer onto the floor, tripping over my phone charger cord.

I have relationships that don't heal.

I have people who gain their strength out of their disdain for me.

And there are fears that keep me up at night of worse imaginings.

I find myself having to trust the goodness and sovereignty of God on an hourly basis.
None of us have idealized lives. But we must keep finding each other. Not just the four or five people close in. But a community.

I can't keep pace. As I get older I'm unable to keep my previous pace of responding. Some must feel neglected by lack of interaction. I hate that. But it is another gamble to trust and be trusted that our hearts are real even when our ability to communicate is not as strong.

So, to sum up I guess. It is an odd animal to be "Christ in me" fully righteous, and still maturing into that righteousness. On any given day my motives are only about 43% pure. But, in fairness, that is up from 29% five years ago. These stats are on file somewhere, I'm sure. My name is John Lynch. And this piece has been written without a filter.

John Lynch