Any good deer dog hunting stories????

Hawghead

I dont think I could ever shoot a dog...but I do believe.. if the dog does not have a collar on it then it is legal to shoot. Correct me if I'm wrong!

Just last weekend I slept in on sat. because We ran dogs for four straight days and I was wore out. Anyway on sat I wasnt gonna go but decided to about 11:30 am. When I got to the club there was already a race goin so I got around to where they were at. I was able to get where I knew the deer was goin before anyone else did. I was there for only ten minutes and I killed the deer they had been runnin for twenty minutes

Dog Hunter

Have not killed any thing this year, but that doesn't matter. My son started going with me last year (he was born in August of last year). He has been going this year and can get out and walk around. The joy it brings me to see him hear the dogs start up. He will stop what he is doing, look in the direction they are, and point and say dog. If I don't pay him the attention he thinks I should right away, he will come and pull on my pants leg and point and say dog again until I let him know I hear them. That is priceless to me. I don't know that he will ever be able to kill a deer in front of the dogs (I certainly hope that dog hunting is around that long, but I have my doubts at times). I started going with Daddy when I was about the same age as him. I have some wonderful times in the woods running dogs with family and friends over the years. This year has been wonderful for me since my son can go with me, but at the same time it has been extremely hard. My granddaddy passed away in August and it is hard not to be able to call him and see what the dogs are doing or if they have done anything. Running dogs could make that 83 year man light up like a kid on christmas morning. Last year, he killed a four point (first deer he had killed in a few years). One shot (seems a lot of the deer he killed were with one shot) was all it took to bring him down. He was always saying after he killed one with one shot, "Boys all it takes is one shot". Course I know that the deer in heaven have been run hard this year.

CAL

Gog Hunter,ya Grandaddy is not alone in Heaven hunting with dogs thats for sure.My folks are with him and having a grand ole time.

Wolfhound

Dog Hunter, that it what it is all about. Good fellowship and the joy of hearing a pack of dogs running. As you can see in my header, I have a little one that will be hunting with me next year and I can't wait to get her out their. My dad took me as soon as I was able to walk and I have some of the best memories of the time I spent with my dad hunting with the dogs.

We had another successful weekend at the club. We had several good races on Saturday morning with two deer being harvested. We also had a really good race on Sunday evening. I believe it was a big one based on the way he ran. In and out of beaver ponds and escaping every block that we had surrounded. I don't know of too many does that would run for 4 1/2 hours over 2,000 acres. Never saw the deer and he actually never crossed the road so we never knew the size of the deer but a very very smart animal to say the least. Hope to get a chance at him next weekend. ::;