Any Science Teachers on Here?

gunnurse

If you know a science teacher, or are a science teacher, here is a practical gift of how ionic changes affect everyday life. With “hard” water, the heat causes decomposition and redistribution of minerals. Such is the case of the water heater element that was just changed at my home. One of the elements was completely covered in limescale, while the other had characteristic “bridging“ between the legs of the element. Result, in real life, a cold shower. (See pics.)

In my case, my elements should probably be changed every 2-3 years. The savings in electricity bills alone would probably save the price of $13.48 for each element.

Attachments

• 057CF78B-01DF-4E01-855F-B59B2E1A87BA.jpeg
    057CF78B-01DF-4E01-855F-B59B2E1A87BA.jpeg
    358.2 KB · Views: 22
  • EFDA729F-8A0B-4942-975E-5EE0D1CB3844.jpeg
    EFDA729F-8A0B-4942-975E-5EE0D1CB3844.jpeg
    462.4 KB · Views: 22

basstrkr

You do know that everyone has "hard water" just some more so than others.
Another interesting "element" of this job might be : How hard was it to get the element unscrewed from the tank? And would changing it every 3 years insure this to be an easier task.

gunnurse

It had been 15 years. The next one will be in 2025. I also shop vac’ed about 3/4 of a gallon of sediment from the tank’s bottom. Who knew?

Redbow

Ain't nothing worse than this beach water we pump out of the ground here with sediment, it ruins everything that is touched by water in a house.

tr21

It had been 15 years. The next one will be in 2025. I also shop vac’ed about 3/4 of a gallon of sediment from the tank’s bottom. Who knew?
we drain our water heater about twice a year and you'd be surprised what all gets flushed out there.

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
Look into changing your anode rod, if you do this the tank on a regular basis it will not rust you will never have to change your heater. Probably help the element issue as well

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
we drain our water heater about twice a year and you'd be surprised what all gets flushed out there.
You'd be surprised how many people never drain/flush their water heater, or even knew you were supposed to.

Baroque Brass

We have hard water and installed a salt softening system. It makes a huge mess in water quality. I just add a bag of salt every few months and it does the rest.