Any tricks or tips to cleaning grave stones?

Robert28

I need to clean up my grandparents grave stones. They both are marble but have this black stuff on them. I should have taken a few pics to show what I’m talking about when I was at the cemetery weed eating today but didn’t. I know there’s a way to clean grave stones, I just wasn’t sure what solution to use or if anyone knew of something I could mix up at home that might work.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
This stuff works. It just doesn’t work quickly. Mix it and spray the marker and spray again in a few months.
Then every year or two should maintain it.

Lowe’s, HD, Amazon all sell it

IMG_1421.png

Robert28

Thanks! I’ll have to go by Lowe’s and pick some up. Did you have to scrub it after spraying it or just spray it and let it sit?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Like the name says. Wet and Forget. The mix kills the stuff on your stone and the weather wash’s and blows it clean.

Big7

The Oracle
This stuff works. It just doesn’t work quickly. Mix it and spray the marker and spray again in a few months.
Then every year or two should maintain it.

Lowe’s, HD, Amazon all sell it

View attachment 1235238
It goober*ment approved for veterans grave stones. YouTube has gazillions of "how to" video.

Jim Baker

Staff member
Wife uses a cleaner she gets at the Dollar General called AWESOME on the granite head stones.

Spray on Let sit then brush and rinse with water from pump up sprayer.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I think a family member can legally use any means desired on a family headstone that they “own”. Some use a pressure washer. But cleaning stones of others is technically not legal.
I was involved for years in locating and cleaning up Confederate Veterans graves. Only the VA approved methods were technically legal then.

On the d2 if real bad lightly wet with water then the d2 it will turn a orange pink color scrub then rinse then re apply then walk away may need another application after couple weeks bleach on polished granite can affect polish

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Vinegar will do it too

ngamtns

I would also recommend the D2. Here are a few examples. The before. The yellow from spraying with D2 and the after. I used a garden sprayer and a tire brush.

Attachments

• 553ABE99-F707-435E-A143-317D377464DF.png
    553ABE99-F707-435E-A143-317D377464DF.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
  • 6CF1AAA2-5F3A-4E28-AD69-784DC9F262C1.png
    6CF1AAA2-5F3A-4E28-AD69-784DC9F262C1.png
    1 MB · Views: 15
  • 0774C4C3-BA16-4AA1-8711-AFBCD481B01D.png
    0774C4C3-BA16-4AA1-8711-AFBCD481B01D.png
    949.7 KB · Views: 15

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I want moss and lichens growing on mine.

Elkbane

I've used Wet & Forget pretty extensively for driveway cleaning and also for algae on synthetic stone walls. It seems to work well on porous surfaces like concrete and horizontal surfaces but less so on non-porous or vertical surfaces, or surfaces with heavy build-up. For those surfaces I typically use "30 Second Outdoor Cleaner". Just my experience - YMMV.
Elkbane

specialk

elbow grease....i went thru this about 5yrs ago. tried all type stuff....no water or power close by.....i used different cleaners(foam, paste, powders, liquids) b4 and after photos.....Resized_20220530_113951.jpegResized_20181224_120646.jpeg