Anybody else filming hunts?

flatwoods

I have tried it a few times over the years. The first GoPros weren't very good.
I plan to do a lot of hunting this year. I am almost to the point where I'd rather film them than shoot them.
Any advice is welcome. I don't plan on going pro with it. Just for personal enjoyment.

I have considered a GoPro Hero 11 but a more traditional video camera may be better.

What are y'all using?

Last edited:

Hunter922

Pro Hero 11 is alright but an actual HD camera works much better for footage that is not shaky and easy to watch. Cannon Rebels and others are very good. The best camera I have seen for Georgia woods is the Lumix- DMC/ FZ70. One button push to 60x HD recordings , it is simple and easy, easy..
Little hard to find it's an older camera. Best one we have for $300.00

krizia829

I love filming my hunts! I have proof of plenty of misses with archery :ROFLMAO:
I have a few videos on my YouTube channel. Would love to do it full time but I see it more as for fun and memories and a way to learn from hunts such as shot placement, stand selection, etc.

I still use my old GoPro Hero 3 white edition and was using my dads little Sony HandyCam for a long time. I just got myself this year a Sony ZV-E10. It's more of a vlogging type camera but you can change the lens for more zoom if needed. It shoots 4K and I love it! I can't wait to use it this year. There are some budget cameras that will get the job done well if you don't want to go the GoPro route.

Canon G7X, Sony ZV-E10, Sony ZV-1 (can't change lens), GoPro 11, etc. They're all great options. Even just your cell phone will take some great video. You just need to know how to set it up properly to film your hunt. ALWAYS record sideways so your videos look better on the tv if you go the phone route.

Buy extra batteries too for whatever camera you purchase. They drain so fast it's ridiculous

This is my new baby
tempImageE0QFv5.png

Last edited:

Long Cut

I use a tactacam 6.0 camera mounted to the stabilizer of my bow
Go Pro Hero over my shoulder
Some older Canon camera to film with
Beast Camera arm w/manfrotto fluid head

Self filming & Bowhunting is easily the most challenging thing I’ve ever tried to do. A rifle makes things a little easier, but it will still be a challenge.
Keep that in mind before you spend thousands on a setup.

If you’re primarily bow hunting, start with the Tactacam 6.0 and the stabilizer mount. Get used to that and see how you like it.

Rifle I’d recommend a cheaper video camera and a camera arm/tripod so you can film in blind and trees. youll need a decent fluid head as well. Manfrotto and Velbon have been good brands for me.

GoPro’s are primarily 3rd angle or POV cameras. They’re great for those applications, but trying to pick up a deer 30 or 50 yards out isn’t their intended application.

For cameras... You have DSLR, Mirrorless or Video Camera. Unless you’ve got money just burning holes in your pocket, I’d start with the traditional Video Camera.
DSLR’s & Mirrorless are great BUT their price point and learning curve to operate aren’t the greatest. DSLR’s also lack autofocus, something you need.

Sony & Canon make good products. Your budget will really dictate what direction you’ll go, but just starting out I’d look into lightly used or Canon Vixia R50’s, R100’s, G10’s or G20’s.

My first Canon was an older M500 series and it did great for me until I got caught in a thunderstorm.

ssramage

I've tried.

I think the "romance' of having my hunts on film keeps me wanting to do it, but the reality is that it's a huge pain in the butt and the quality is nowhere near as good as you'd want it to be unless you put tons of time and money into it.

For a hobbyist though, it's hard to beat the new iPhones of 4k filming.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
I use my phone when huntin with others but I'm terrible at it and I don't have editing skills. I get caught up in the moment and forget to video it good. Or the excitment of the moment makes me forget about the video.

But I wish I was good at it because I love a good exciting homemade video.

a camcorder is the easiest to film with..but it won't be the sharpest look. A mirrorless or DSLR will have the best most aesthetic look because it can give you that shallow depth of field. If you are going to be filming in the outdoors, then alot of action will happen at low light, so go ahead and buy the best you can afford with a big sensor to collect as much light as you can. Sony is probably King, but the lenses are expensive, Canon does a great job and the market is flooded with canon lenses because they are king of lenses and so you can get different lenses at alot better prices than other cameras.

I love my fourth arrow camera arms and fluid heads. There are other good ones out there, but I've been very happy with fourth arrow.
Also, we all love to hear whats going on out there in those woods. so my little Rode shotgun mic for 60 bucks does all I need it too, i mean it hears the turkeys gobbling from a long ways away, it can hear the leaves crunching, and the bucks grunting!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I just ordered a tacticam solo to put on my bow as a stabilizer. I’ve filmed my last three Turkey hunts using my cell phone and it’s a hoot! They are on my YouTube channel and you can find them if you like….along with a few others. Last Turkey season we had enormous laughs with my channel. I bet I got like 10-12 folks to subscribe.…..all family of course. I’m Just having fun and not doing any cinematic episodes or anything. I think if it’s fun for you, woohoo! If you’re trying to get picked up and make a living, sincerely the best of luck!

if you see something you like, hit that button!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

kingfish

Hats off to anyone who can film a live hunt. I'm so uncoordinated I can't remember to whistle or errrp to stop a deer, much less turn on, aim and focus a camera and then try and complete the mission. I do enjoy before and after, show and tell after a successful hunt. I use 2 GoPro Hero 4s to film. The Beep Beep Beep in the woods sounds like an alien invasion when you turn the darn thing on so I keep it in my pocket when it isn't show time. I really enjoy fooling around with videography in the woods and on the water but the best you'll get from me is 480 and free outdoor fun and brevity.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Yeah, I thought I'd film a bear hunt 6 or 7 years ago with my phone. It didn't turn out well. I have no future in videography:ROFLMAO:

That was great! Nice bear too!
I just got that tactacam solo and will video with it this season. I have to admit, it’s already raised the anticipated fun factor! I’m still gonna try and figure out how to hang my phone and record with it while im in my saddle.

Latest posts