Anyone ever sprayed their entire yard?

j_seph

Like title says, anyone ever sprayed their entire yard killing all grass and weeds? Killing everything that is in the yard and starting over? Would love to have a nice pretty green yard with some nice grass to cut. Instead of Clover and every other weed. When is the time to do this? Any pointers to doing this?

LittleDrummerBoy

Like title says, anyone ever sprayed their entire yard killing all grass and weeds? Killing everything that is in the yard and starting over? Would love to have a nice pretty green yard with some nice grass to cut. Instead of Clover and every other weed. When is the time to do this? Any pointers to doing this?

I did it about a year ago, and now is a good time. I've done it several previous times over the years. But often I plan a clover/grass/turnip mix as a food plot. The turnips provide a lot of food for the deer in fall and winter, and in the spring, the clover and grass take over.

But if your goal is solid grass, a few tips:

1. Spray it all now with roundup.
2. Spray it again in a week with roundup.
3. Give it another week for everything to die before seeding.
4. Seed at a rate at the heavier end of the recommended range.
5. Have a solid plan in place for watering. A good stand of grass needs regular watering when very young. Measure rainfall with a bucket or something. If in doubt - water.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Are you planning to sow grass or put down sod?

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
What type grass are you wanting to plant..fescue...bermuda...zoysia...St augustine....centeped? That will make a difference when to kill,fert,lime ,plant,

j_seph

What type grass are you wanting to plant..fescue...bermuda...zoysia...St augustine....centeped? That will make a difference when to kill,fert,lime ,plant,
Not really sure, no idea

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Wish I could afford sod but will be sowing grass of some sort

I was going to suggest applying pre-emergents to help prevent seed from germinating but that wouldn’t be good if you plan to sow grass.
Have you priced sod?

j_seph

I was going to suggest applying pre-emergents to help prevent seed from germinating but that wouldn’t be good if you plan to sow grass.
Have you priced sod?
I have not but imagine 27,000 SF would be high

LittleDrummerBoy

I would call around about the sod, both now and in a couple weeks when your kill is done. COVID has lots of markets behaving much differently this year. The more sports get cancelled, the less demand for sod there will be, and the better chance of getting a really good deal on it by late summer.

j_seph

$9,744 just for the sod not counting the labor

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I have not but imagine 27,000 SF would be high
If you staggered them you would only need half that much....however you would need it fill between them with good topsoil and could seed those spots.

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
Fescue is out of the question if you don't want to go broke watering it in the heat of the summer.
The difference between sod and seed are huge when it comes to eye appeal. Seasonal grasses grown from a seed tend to be stringy and less full unlike sod.
Do you have any grass now or is it just weeds?

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
My brother burns his lawn every spring just before the grass starts to grow. His lawn is beautiful and requires very little weed control.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
You need to wait till Sept for seeding fescue.Bermuda would be now.Either way you need to keep the soil wet for better germination.Bermuda takes2-3 weeks to germinate...fescue about 7-14 days.
Even if you do sod you still have to keep the soil wet for the roots to take.
Well or county/city water?

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
You might consider doing part now with bermuda....part in annual rye this fall..then plant/sod the rest next May in bermuda.